starting strength gym

Thread: Interesting research about loading and collagen formation

Default Interesting research about loading and collagen formation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Our ligaments and bones don't grow the way we thought, new research finds

You've observed that tissue growth and remodeling happen in response to mechanical loading, at the macro level. If I'm reading this correctly, the researchers think that collagen forms due to loading at the cellular level.

"We don't really understand how tiny cells working together with molecules much smaller than themselves are able to integrate and establish these lovely, mechanically efficient patterns that become us over time," he says. "The theory has long been that the cells basically are individually depositing, or printing the tissues, out using a pattern or algorithm."

But that's just a theory, he explains. Ruberti and three researchers who worked in his lab have now challenged that, providing evidence that collagen, the main protein that forms much of our tissue, is not pre-fabricated and positioned by the cells, but rather formed by our cells cooperatively pulling apart from each other.

"This material tends to accumulate in the path of force, where it reaches a lower energy state but is under high tensile load. So, what we propose is that the cells and your body work together to produce structure by literally creating lines of tension along which collagen precipitates into structure. In short, the force causes the structure that then resists the force that caused it."
    I thought you might find this interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post

You've observed that tissue growth and remodeling happen in response to mechanical loading, at the macro level. If I'm reading this correctly, the researchers think that collagen forms due to loading at the cellular level.

Very interesting.

But when he says "But that's just a theory", this mean that have a ton of research to suport that theory.
    I'm saying this because sometimes peoples tend to misunderstand like just a momentaneous ideia that come to her mind, a hipothesys to be more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post

The model is moderately interesting, as long as we remember that phenomenology is king. It is beyond question that tissue grows and remodels in response to the SRA cycle. The particular mechanisms for how it happens are interesting, but don't change the observed effects.

I'm sure someone will figure out a way to use this to sell exercise equipment, programs, and internet clicks, though! Maybe inversion boots and benches will make a comeback for the "pulling" part. Or iron boots... Or t'ai chi and yoga for seniors...

They used a cornea to model this.

I now eagerly await Rip to write and release a 4th edition of the blue book taking into account this ground breaking research and teaching us how to most effectively use the barbell to strengthen the human eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano Alves View Post
    But when he says "But that's just a theory", this mean that have a ton of research to suport that theory.
    I'm saying this because sometimes peoples tend to misunderstand like just a momentaneous ideia that come to her mind, a hipothesys to be more clear.
    Let's understand this clearly: A THEORY is an explanation for a set of observed facts. It is an explanation, and it may be a bad one, but that's all it is. No amount of research is implied by the term.

This really is neat. It seems there was some caesura of competence between the doctors and the biologists that led to the idea that collagen formation would be somehow dictated by cellular machinery, rather than the chemical structure of the protein, like, oh, every other process in biology. Including, for that matter, any posited cellular algorithm. That model explains a great deal and eliminates multiple entities. Neat at least from the perspective of an amateur.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Let's understand this clearly: A THEORY is an explanation for a set of observed facts. It is an explanation, and it may be a bad one, but that's all it is. No amount of research is implied by the term.
    Yes, theres a lot of bad ones too. The issue with this is the same when peoples trying to refute or discredited the Evolution Theory or Universal Expansion, for example.

There a lot of others models trying to explain how this 2 concepts happen but in other different ways, but again, none of them have the same amount of research to support the 2 theories that a gave as example, because must have the DATA (Rip imagine you saying DATA LOL) to support them, so there is no more a Hipotesis, but Theory instead.

I'm saying this because this have to happen whem comes to produce a decent article, and if he was a bad one, the methodology to execute and prove the point of that study must be detailed in the article. This will tell the amount of veracity of the article. At least with Biology and Astronomy things tend to happen that way.

What i'm trying to say is that have a lot of misunderstanding between the word Theory and Hypothesis. And mostly doctors and schoollars tend to commit that grotesc error.