starting strength gym

Thread: Rip: A Brief History of WFAC

Congratulation Rip, you have had a great run and your influence on the strength industry will be long lasting. Thank you for all you have done.

David Roberts

Cool story, Rip. So, what was the building used for before you made it a gym?

Great article, Rip. I had [wrongly] imagined that WFAC was always barbell-based and it was interesting to read how the gym has evolved as a reflection of the knowledge you've gained and the way you and the team have narrowed the focus.

For what it's worth, it didn't bother me that Starting Strength 1st edition was written for the coach and not the trainee. I read it in 2005 and got plenty out of the text as a novice lifters, despite needing some in person guidance to understand and apply some of the cues. In fact, I was fortunate to stumble upon your book at that time, because I was very impressionable and could have been vulnerable to less productive training methods.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    Cool story, Rip. So, what was the building used for before you made it a gym?
    It was a warehouse for a department store.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Great article, Rip. I had [wrongly] imagined that WFAC was always barbell-based and it was interesting to read how the gym has evolved as a reflection of the knowledge you've gained and the way you and the team have narrowed the focus.
    From paragraph 8:

I determined from the start that our training here was going to be barbell-based, even though it took me another 35 years to clarify exactly what that meant.

Congratulations on 40 years of WFAC Coach!

I happened across your books around 10 years ago and have been recommending them to friends and family and buying them for gifts to my nephews and son in laws ever since.

The first book got me recovered from years-long chronic back pain, and if I don't do anything too stupid, I'm still mostly pain free for years now.

Thank you!

Mike

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    The first book got me recovered from years-long chronic back pain, and if I don't do anything too stupid, I'm still mostly pain free for years now.
    This^... exactly.

Thank you.
    -- Barry