starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Psychiatry - Construction of the DSM (James Davies)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    9

    Post Psychiatry - Construction of the DSM (James Davies)

    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just wanted to share this lecture by James Davies, an investigative journalist. In his talk, he goes through the construction of the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). I won't spoil anything, but its creation was not based on scientific studies or brain scans. It is well worth the listen. The current DSM-5 has been locked down. No one can see the names of the members on the committee that updated it.

    Psychiatry & Big Pharma: Exposed - Dr James Davies, PhD - YouTube

    I have been affected by psychiatric drugs that are non-controlled substances. I didn't want to get too personal but if anyone who replies is in a similar situation, I can share a bit about my experience and background.

    I am currently chipping away at my novice LP.

    I hope this talk can help someone.

    Edit: There are some formatting issues, but hopefully you can understand what I'm saying in this post. If this needs to be moved to another part of the forum, please let me know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,889

    Default

    Thanks Brigitta. Is there a more condensed version of this material.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks Brigitta. Is there a more condensed version of this material.
    Hi Rip,

    When I have time on the weekend, I will make cliff notes. Sorry about getting his credentials wrong. He has a doctorate in medical and social anthropology. He has trained and practiced as a clinical psychotherapist.

    The DSM disorders were all voted on by committees. None of the disorders were based on brain scans or scientific research.

    I believe it was the DSM-IV that was the best seller on Amazon at one point, at $88. What happened was the pharmaceutical companies bought up many copies and distributed them to clinicians throughout the US.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Wasn't the DSM famously originally create by members yelling at each other untill one side backed down and agreed with the definitions?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    America
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brinethery View Post
    Hi Rip,

    When I have time on the weekend, I will make cliff notes. Sorry about getting his credentials wrong. He has a doctorate in medical and social anthropology. He has trained and practiced as a clinical psychotherapist.

    The DSM disorders were all voted on by committees. None of the disorders were based on brain scans or scientific research.

    I believe it was the DSM-IV that was the best seller on Amazon at one point, at $88. What happened was the pharmaceutical companies bought up many copies and distributed them to clinicians throughout the US.
    Absolutely. I can’t go into complete detail on how shitty it is from my perspective, it’s lazy and reminiscent of hive-mind medicine. It maybe perhaps the most dangerous tool that can be used against one in life (court). I enjoy psychology… a lot. Most people I HIGHLY respect (Sam Vaknin) have moved away and even condemn the DSM. I know for Cluster B personalities, The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is a little better, not as lazy as the DSM…but I would remain cautious. Nonetheless, if you are going out of your way to figure this out, best wishes and fight the good fight.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Location
    Northern Oregon Coast
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    ... Most people I HIGHLY respect (Sam Vaknin) have moved away and even condemn the DSM. ...
    Speaking of Vaknin, here is one of his profound and entertaining videos: The Stupid Takeover

    His thesis is that stupidity has become a positive adaptation, and is now naturally selected for.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    Speaking of Vaknin, here is one of his profound and entertaining videos: The Stupid Takeover

    His thesis is that stupidity has become a positive adaptation, and is now naturally selected for.
    Nail on the head, right here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2024
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    Speaking of Vaknin, here is one of his profound and entertaining videos: The Stupid Takeover

    His thesis is that stupidity has become a positive adaptation, and is now naturally selected for.
    Stupid people who shouldn't have kids are the ones who breed like rabbits and stray cats.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    205

    Default

    James Davies’ book is excellent. I am a former psychiatry trainee who abandoned it due to many of the issues that are discussed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Location
    Northern Oregon Coast
    Posts
    62

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    James Davies’ book is excellent. I am a former psychiatry trainee who abandoned it due to many of the issues that are discussed.
    You dodged a bullet. Take away their prescription pad and they gotz nuffin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •