starting strength gym

Thread: Jim Steel: The Value of Blind Rage

Default Jim Steel: The Value of Blind Rage

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

Did she get the 225?

A genuine pleasure to read. Thank you.

Thanks Jim. This is absolutely spot on. I film my top sets and send them to my barbell coach. At times in viewing the video on heavy singles I tell him “I didn’t bring enough energy (blind fury is a much better description)” and the rep was harder than it should have been. I’ve gotten better at this over time with practice. There is a huge mental aspect to lifting weights that is under rated. You have to find that place in your mind that makes you want to crush the fucking weights.

She missed the 225. I should have been more clear on that. I appreciate you guys reading my stuff and commenting . That was so fun to write.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

I really enjoyed reading this article. This sentiment is lost on so many people who are used to competing or are decades removed from it. Reminds me of an interaction I had with a member at a strengthlifting meet at WFAC last year. Older gentleman (late 60s). He had come back from a round of Covid and heart surgery that took 50lb off of him the year before. He had worked back up to PR weights for the meet and missed his 2nd DL attempt which was a 5lb all-time PR. He was worried about his low back. We decided to go for a 3rd attempt at the same weight. Because I was confident he had it in him and able to keep form, I told him that in training we listen to our body…but in a meet we tell it to “SHUT THE FUCK UP”. Come time for his 3rd attempt, he stepped on the platform quietly raging beneath a calm exterior and pulled the rep smoothly, with only a minor grind at the sticking point below the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. Shipley View Post
    ...I told him that in training we listen to our body…but in a meet we tell it to “SHUT THE FUCK UP”. Come time for his 3rd attempt, he stepped on the platform quietly raging beneath a calm exterior and pulled the rep smoothly, with only a minor grind at the sticking point below the knees.
    Nice - great job motivating your lifter, J.D. Videos of me in competition have mildly surprised me that, in the rage comes to a bright, sharp focus on the job that looks a lot calmer than it felt right before I stepped onto the platform. It's like a switch is thrown as soon as they say, "Bar is loaded."

I'm reminded of a video I saw of a YouTube guy who criticizes other people's reactions to gym stuff. The subject in question was a woman who had gotten bent out of shape about a man deadlifting heavy who was yelling "Shut up, bitch!" before each rep. As soon as it was described, I knew exactly who the lifter was addressing, because I have similar, though generally quieter interactions with myself.

starting strength coach development program
    The gym sells CBD gummies? What for?