starting strength gym

Thread: Is their a "Supine Grip Front Squat" variation?

Default Is their a "Supine Grip Front Squat" variation?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The Blue Book came on Tuesday and I really really really want to do the program but my body is having trouble adding the bar for the squat. I think there are multiple reasons (And 66 years old is not a reason):

1: Shoulder flexibility--I'm working on this more diligently since last week when I found this forum and the video showing the lean into the bar stretch. At this time, I can't get the bar off my neck even for a high bar BUT I am determined to eventually get at least to a high bar squat and hopefully LBS.

2: LONG forearms--even when I improve my shoulder mobility, I'm not sure I can get the bar low enough to rest on my back or shoulders and this is exacerbated by

3:Very limited wrist extension : 25-30 degrees and this cannot be improved.

So, while I work on shoulder mobility, can I do front squats with a supine grip? Is there anything in addition to what is covered in the Squat Variations section of Starting Strength? I'm trying to get the weight off my arms but it is difficult. It will get easier I think as I progress and add muscle to my skinny cyclist body and hopefully my pecs will one day keep the bar off the wires they used to put my sternum back together. But what can I do in the meantime?

Try them that way and see what happens.

You know you can put your hands as wide as you want to right? You can go right up against the J hooks if you need to.

The front squat should have the bar resting on the front delts, not the pecs. No matter how shrimpy they are, they will be above your collarbone when your arms are in the right position.

I'm not sure how you can actually get your arms into that position: I just went and tried it and it's even harder to get into than the normal front rack with long forearms. If you can do it, but can't achieve a regular front rack, I guess why not?

Do you have access to a squat safety bar? That's the move for people with really bad shoulder mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Try them that way and see what happens.
    I donít want ANYTHING to happen. But ok. Tomorrow is my first B day.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    You know you can put your hands as wide as you want to right? You can go right up against the J hooks if you need to.
    One caveat on this: Be very, VERY careful re-racking the bar if you do.

Ya. Right now, I would need to get wide and outside the rack for a back squat.

I had a good morning: Got my elbows out and my deltoids took the weight of the bar -- happy days! My wrists in flexion are a little strained but it feels like a stretch and it will get better. I'll check my form with some videos and self correct some before I post one for you guys to check.

I considered getting a safety bar (working out at home). But now if this works, should I bother? And I've only just begun working on my shoulder mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
    I considered getting a safety bar (working out at home). But now if this works, should I bother? And I've only just begun working on my shoulder mobility.
    Let's suppose for a moment that you absolutely can't get into position for a low bar back squat ever. (That's by no means settled yet, but just for sake of argument...)

If you're choosing between a safety bar squat and some modified front squat, which one will better satisfy the three criteria?

Move the most weight
    using the most muscle mass
    over the greatest effective range of motion.

Make sure you read - really, honestly read - the blue book. Same with Dr. Sullivan and Andy Baker's book, which Rip recommended above. The three criteria and other important fundamental principles are in them, which you will need to proceed wisely and effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Classtime View Post

I had a good morning: Got my elbows out and my deltoids took the weight of the bar -- happy days! My wrists in flexion are a little strained but it feels like a stretch and it will get better. I'll check my form with some videos and self correct some before I post one for you guys to check.

The safety bar works fine for me, you should definitely consider getting one if you canít rack a low bar squat. I tried high bar squats and they inflamed the hell out of my knees, the low bar with safety bar has fixed this.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't find pictures or video of using a safety squat bar for low bar squats. I mocked up a 6 inch camber bar to see if I could do a low bar with a narrow enough grip to fit between the uprights but it is a no-go for now. I've seen video of the Marrs bar in action and one of those might be in my future but I'm going to make some handles next.