starting strength gym

Thread: Joe Jaloszynski SSC and Rip: Don't Blame Your Deadlift on Your Shoes

Default Joe Jaloszynski SSC and Rip: Don't Blame Your Deadlift on Your Shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

I don't even think about my shoes. I put them on, train all the lifts of the day, pull 'em off and leave the gym. Cheapo Adidas Powerlifts, but they do the job. But hey, people need excuses, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Rott View Post
    I don't even think about my shoes. I put them on, train all the lifts of the day, pull 'em off and leave the gym. Cheapo Adidas Powerlifts, but they do the job. But hey, people need excuses, so there's that.
    same^

And in my 38 years of lifting weights, I do not know of, or have ever run into, a single person who would get worried or invested into the argument of deadlift footwear. A hill to die on as it were. That is, almost everyone with a basic knowledge of the barbell lifts would admit you can no doubt deadlift more barefoot (or in DL slippers) than in shoes or in lifters. But I know no one who worries about it to extent that is portrayed in the article. OR know of anyone who blamed their 'poverty deadlift' on their lifters.

Maybe I am (always) at the wrong kind of gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    That is, almost everyone with a basic knowledge of the barbell lifts would admit you can no doubt deadlift more barefoot (or in DL slippers) than in shoes or in lifters.
    Would you consider me to have a basic knowledge of the barbell lifts?

Did my last DL session in my lifting shoes (AKA 1/4Ē deficit deadlifts) just for fun. Didnít notice the difference from my thin-soled Adidas I usually use. Definitely noticed the added stability though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kelticslob View Post
    Didn’t notice the difference from my thin-soled Adidas I usually use. Definitely noticed the added stability though.
    Then I guess you noticed the difference.