starting strength gym

Thread: Knee injury, work through it?

Default Knee injury, work through it?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just finished my deadlifts last night when I heard my dog causing a ruckus in my backyard. I sprinted out to get him and ended up smashing my knee against the 45lb plate. It was immediately super sore and stiff, bruised and cut. Hard to bend and painful to body weight squat, not really even being able to at all

Today it is still pretty dang painful when itís touched and although it hurts I can body weight squat and walk and push the clutch in my car

I know the knee is a big area to describe and you can only tell me so much, but if this were you, would you feel comfortable just trying to work through it and continue my squats tomorrow and see how it feels? Or would you recommend I get it checked out?

Normally Iím the type to wait and see, but after reading about tendon and ligament injuries on here and you recommending quick surgery for certain injuries, I donít trust my judgment as much when it comes to this stuff, and I look forward to progressing on my lifts and want to make sure Iím not being stupid

Thank you

If you don't trust your judgement, get it looked at. This is how your judgement develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you don't trust your judgement, get it looked at. This is how your judgement develops.
    That makes sense and is a good lesson in general, thanks for that. Iím trying to find a balance between being responsible but not over worrying, I get beat up a bit normally with my lifestyle, and Normally my judgment would say to wait and see, but lifting is new to me and Iím not as knowledgeable as you about this stuff and long term implications.

Would you think it would be dumb of me if I waited another day, and if itís not getting worse or itís starting to feel better, to continue my workout and go from there?

Most injuries can be trained through. You have to learn about which this is.

In my experience, bad injuries are worse the next day, not better. When I really banged up my knee, I at first thought I could continue my training that night (martial arts, not lifting). The next day, it was so swollen, bruised and stiff I knew something was wrong and I went to the ER (fracture, ligament rupture, cartilage damage).
    To me it sounds like you can do bodyweight squats that you couldn't do a day before, it's already healing, and being able to squat sounds like it's not damaged too bad.

Pin firing: 20 sets of rolls.

starting strength coach development program
    The parts of the knee that are really dangerous to hurt are helpfully tucked away inside the bone: if banging your knees into something while walking had a reasonable chance of actually fucking you up we wouldn't have made it off of the savannah