starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: No polite way to asků

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    In my observations, old man strength is a lot more about technique and mindset on applying the force than it is about the force production capacity itself.
    I think this is the most likely explanation. With age and reduced strength comes both a tacit knowledge and necessity to use it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    In my observations, old man strength is a lot more about technique and mindset on applying the force than it is about the force production capacity itself.
    The dark side or the light side?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    The dark side or the light side?
    Which version of Anakin Skywalker used which side?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baden, Switzerland
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I'm usually very careful about Urban Dictionary, but it's pretty much accurate on this phrase. If you look through several of the definitions given there, it hits most of the cultural aspects of the term, more or less:

    Urban Dictionary: Retard strength
    Maybe because mentally handicapped people have no concept of hurting themselves or others with their movements and therefore do not consciously inhibit/downregulate/try to control the "neural drive" to their muscles? (Maybe this steers the thread back to the initial post).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    209

    Default

    My experience has been that old man strength is cited by underweight 15-18 dudes getting thoroughly boxed out on the basketball court by a 5'10" 220lb dad bod. Looking back, I think it's just weight and not relying on agility and athleticism.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Rohner View Post
    Maybe because mentally handicapped people have no concept of hurting themselves or others with their movements and therefore do not consciously inhibit/downregulate/try to control the "neural drive" to their muscles? (Maybe this steers the thread back to the initial post).
    Where is your sense of fun?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    742

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eanderson View Post
    My experience has been that old man strength is cited by underweight 15-18 dudes getting thoroughly boxed out on the basketball court by a 5'10" 220lb dad bod. Looking back, I think it's just weight and not relying on agility and athleticism.
    This is probably a good example from a recreational context of my and Mr. Rowe's earlier comments. In farming, building, repairs, or other hands-on work contexts, it's "that old man can move/break apart way bigger things than I can - it's old man strength"...and it's because he knows how to do it the smart way, and because you never see him hurt himself moving something that's unreasonable, because he knows better. In both cases, the dumb young guy fails, but the old man's already failed enough that he knows better. He also probably knows how to use simple machines like levers a lot better.... It's not so much "old man strength" as it's "old man effectiveness", really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •