starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Israetel: Is Strength Training Dangerous?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I hear that sitting on one's ass and reading Lord of the Rings for the fourth time has zero injury risk, so that's what I am doing tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    I hear that sitting on one's ass and reading Lord of the Rings for the fourth time has zero injury risk, so that's what I am doing tonight.
    As with many things, the dose makes the poison.

(For the sitting on one's ass part, that is...not the Tolkien part... Reading Tolkien is almost always a great idea.)

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyjones View Post
    Stretch mediated hypertrophy does seem to be the new buzz.
    Yes, a fancy word to say you have to take the muscle through full range of motion for it to grow. If you state the obvious in a complicated way you are now a scientist. Did you know the weighted squat elicits more load-mediated hypertrophy than the air squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Yes, a fancy word to say you have to take the muscle through full range of motion for it to grow. If you state the obvious in a complicated way you are now a scientist. Did you know the weighted squat elicits more load-mediated hypertrophy than the air squat?
    Yes and by that silogism they conclude: do the "reverse nordic curl" instead get your squat up to 500. If course, if your premises are wrong, your conclusion will be wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Yes and by that silogism they conclude: do the "reverse nordic curl" instead get your squat up to 500. If course, if your premises are wrong, your conclusion will be wrong.
    It depends on one's goals. Recently Mike was trying to get his pro card. This means juicing up to the gills and focusing on hypertrophy above all else.. He's also trying to make money online. Which again: novelty, lists, controversary.. Pimp that algorithm. He does have videos and articles on the squat. But, doing the 20th video on the same topic isn't as financially lucrative as finding something new. Cause people are always looking for that silver bullet!

"Full range of motion" is different to "effective full range of motion". You're not assing out in a low bar squat because, your muscles get into a disadvantageous position. Similarly, you aren't milking the eccentric or the stretched position when training for strength. When the goal is to put the most weight on the bar. Mucking around too long in the eccentric is wasted effort. Staying in the stretched position is also counter-productive. You lose the elasticity / stretch reflex if you don't "bounce" out of the bottom.

I haven't been round the block long enough to know. But, I kind of feel like it's probably all been said before & fashion comes and goes. Apparently skinny jeans are coming back for the nth time!

I'm not too bothered about the hypertrophy aspect but, as a chronically inflexible person. Sitting in a deep, weighted stretch, does feel pretty good! Deadlifts done right will tug on your hamstrings. Nordic curls, sissy squats, hack squats, ATG squats all give a nasty stretch. Sitting at the bottom of a calf raise. Letting your body go into a dead hang position at the top of a pulldown/up tugs on the lats. Chest flies that you raise your chest into or dumbbell bench where you "wrap your elbows around your rip cage" open your chest up."

Productivity wise, it probably falls into the same realm as regular old stretching. Not the most efficient use of your time if you're chasing the numbers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12