starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thought's on Pitbulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here's a Malinois video for those not familiar with the breed. Unbelievable athleticism.

https://youtu.be/orAGU04T0rc?si=4UDrRpXgttyWFiTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Or a Belgian Malinois. Don't see them too often but it's a full time job training them and keeping them active. Otherwise, nothing but trouble.

My nephew is a dog handler and has a Belgian, and he's really good at training and exercising the beast.

I've seen that dog run straight up a tree trunk 15 feet up, then dive back down like no big deal.

Not a dog for lazy people, that's for sure.
    And not a dog for people without legal representation on retainer. They will bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And not a dog for people without legal representation on retainer. They will bite you.
    Yes, my nephew works at a prison downstate as a K9 officer. He's got 20 acres of homestead out in farmland near there where he raised the dog. Not a breed for neighborhood folks for sure.

Mallies are insane to own if you aren't a K-9 handler -- pure hyperactive reaction. German Shepherds are thoughtful, but still a herding dog.

Pitbull terriers are amazing dogs provided it's actually a pibble. The fighting dog and ghetto dog scenes crossed with larger greeds and bred for aggression for status and money. Even then, most of those dogs were fine once separated from that.

Just put my pibble down last month after 16 years. Best dog I ever had.

The best dog I ever had was a female pit. She was the sweetest thing who ever lived. You can make any dog into an asshole by mistreating it. Chihuahuas seem to need the least help. I don't think you'll find anyone outside the media who thinks badly of pit bulldogs.
    Rip, you’re going to give me shit about this, but we have a boy miniature poodle, about 20 pounds, the color of Robert Redford’s hair. He was a stud before we adopted him. Those asshole poodles are made that way by the haircut and the neuroses of their owners. My boy is the goodest boy.

I would have a Standard Poodle. Very smart dogs.

I would have a Standard Poodle. Very smart dogs.
    Indeed. And extremely protective of women.

I owned a doggy daycare and my great grandmother bred poodles. That's in addition to a family full of farm and companion dogs. My first best friend was a mini schnauzer. I don't associate with people who don't like dogs and I trust dogs more than people.

Pits are wonderful dogs. They used to be known as the "nanny dog". If you Google that you'll be treated to an adorable array of old photos of pits and their kidlets.

Pits are descended from the English bulldogs but in America they were all purpose dogs. They are very human focused unlike the aloof and independent hounds. They are very pack-oriented unlike a Golden who's never met a stranger. However, they don't have the smarts of a Belgian. This makes them an excellent family dog. They don't get into as much trouble as a working dog will and they have more patience than a Chi or terrier. Pits just need the same training and socialization any well rounded pup needs. But for anyone looking to get one please check your local ordinances. Cities found out real quick you can limit certain populations in your area if you outlaw the breed so many have. Even more leasing companies and landlords don't allow them. Airlines often won't fly them or any of the snub nosed breeds. (Its about the breathing in their case.)

All breeds have (in my experience) a weird characteristic unique to them. In pits, it's a high pain tolerance in the face and jaw. This makes for interesting encounters with wildlife and a need to keep an eye on the kinds of bones and toys they get. They will break a tooth before giving up on a cow femur.

I've got a Clumber Spaniel. Like a golden retriever runt sized thing. He's pretty good although he is a teenager right now so being a general nuisance. Only one breeder in my state and not many in Aus to begin with so not many people know what we're talking about when we mention it.

My first dog was a red heeler X Kelpie from the local pound when I was a teen. That was a steep learning curve.

My sister had two German shepherds and a husky. Now she's just got the husky plus an Alaskan malamute pup. They are hard work.

I think most of the time it's the people involved that create the issues, not the dogs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Mallies are insane to own if you aren't a K-9 handler -- pure hyperactive reaction. German Shepherds are thoughtful, but still a herding dog.

Pitbull terriers are amazing dogs provided it's actually a pibble. The fighting dog and ghetto dog scenes crossed with larger greeds and bred for aggression for status and money. Even then, most of those dogs were fine once separated from that.

Just put my pibble down last month after 16 years. Best dog I ever had.
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you had a lot of good years though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12