starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Testosterone

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I read somewhere that if you are driving a sports car and you see an attractive woman walking down the street, you'll get a spike in Testosterone.

I would love to hear of anyone who is on ART and their stories (good/bad)...
    Wait, 'ART' or 'HRT'?

I thought ART was Active Release Therapy, AKA those vicious massages that make you feel like a new man afterwards.

HRT is hormone replacement therapy, aka, test and hcg injections.

I think we're talking about hormones.

Go to elitefitness.com. Yes, yes, I know, I know. But they have a section devoted to HRT and there are some old-timers who would be helpful. Some of them are some competitive lifters. And some of them will tell you how much they hate having to constantly monitor their hormone level. So while you'll mostly get a "life isn't worth living without testosterone" viewpoint, it'll be somewhat balanced and certainly honest.

Go there, read up, ask questions. PM me for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    Wait, 'ART' or 'HRT'?

I thought ART was Active Release Therapy, AKA those vicious massages that make you feel like a new man afterwards.

HRT is hormone replacement therapy, aka, test and hcg injections.
    Androgen Replacement Therapy.

More specific for men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androge...cement_Therapy

"2) The fact that once on ART, I have to monitor all these other side effects as you mention (prostate, oestrogens, naturally produced test, etc.). Scary in my book..."

Not really. You are 49 so you should be getting a prostate exam anyway, and there is no correlation between test and prostate cancer.

Your estrogen and free test will be monitored using a blood test that you get about every 3 months until it levels off or change dosages. Then you get it every year/every other year.

If you go on replacement therapy, you don't really care what your testes are doing unless you want to have more kids. You care only about how much test (between natural and injected sources).

Also, go with the injections (cyponante) do not use the gel. THe gel is fine for women, but the test is converted to dihydrotestosterone in the skin for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "Also, go with the injections (cyponante) do not use the gel. THe gel is fine for women, but the test is converted to dihydrotestosterone in the skin for men.
    I have a 64 yr old friend who just got a shot and then went on the gel patch. What's wrong with the gel? He said he did get minor skin irritation so he moves it around often. Once it is converted dihydrotestosterone is it useless?

DHT is responsible for secondary male sex charcteristics, but not what HRT is designed for; increase recovery, mood, sex drive, energy and fat loss.

I"m on it and my doctor only gives the gel to women.

The gel isn't as effective usually. Can be affected by skin thickness, adipose tissue etc. You have to be extremely careful if you've got kids as this stuff can rub off on them. Gels are easier I suppose.

Injections are great, especially if you can do it yourself at home more frequently. The large long-term doses are a bit up and down and you don't have that same physiological level that is natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    You have to be extremely careful if you've got kids as this stuff can rub off on them.
    Nobody wants to look like an idiot in front of Dr. House.

Quote Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
    Nobody wants to look like an idiot in front of Dr. House.
    I probably am an idiot... since I don't watch House. Explain yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    It's never lupus.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast