starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drink Your Milk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a huge proponent of drinking raw whole milk. Pasteurized milk always gave me gut cramps, gas and bloating but raw milk doesn't. Plus it tastes much better!

My lifts have rocketed since increasing my intake of raw milk to close to a half gallon total per day - that's plenty when you are 115# and the stuff is expensive! Another plus is that my allergy symptoms have all but disappeared. I am allergic to cats, dogs, horses, grass, pollen, etc. and had severe hay fever reactions each fall. Several years ago, a friend suggested I try a couple glasses of raw milk each day rather than drugs and it worked. Even when putting up hay in the mow during hay season I did little more than sneeze a few times. No swelled up throat, no breathing problems...it was close to a miracle.

Gary is right. Drink your milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
    I'm a huge proponent of drinking raw whole milk. Pasteurized milk always gave me gut cramps, gas and bloating but raw milk doesn't. Plus it tastes much better!

My lifts have rocketed since increasing my intake of raw milk to close to a half gallon total per day - that's plenty when you are 115# and the stuff is expensive! Another plus is that my allergy symptoms have all but disappeared. I am allergic to cats, dogs, horses, grass, pollen, etc. and had severe hay fever reactions each fall. Several years ago, a friend suggested I try a couple glasses of raw milk each day rather than drugs and it worked. Even when putting up hay in the mow during hay season I did little more than sneeze a few times. No swelled up throat, no breathing problems...it was close to a miracle.

Gary is right. Drink your milk.
    I wish I could get my hands on raw milk. Maybe when I move to Wyoming in the summer I'll be able to track down a co-op or whatever they call it where they sell raw milk. I hear that if you drink raw milk, even if your lactose intolerant, there wont be any ill effects. I really wanna try that stuff and I'm jealous that you have it.

mcsquared,

You might be able to find a farmer selling raw milk where you are now via this site:

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    I hear that if you drink raw milk, even if your lactose intolerant, there wont be any ill effects. I really wanna try that stuff and I'm jealous that you have it.
    I smell BS.

Milk has lactose in it, be it raw or pasteurised.

There are many benefits or Raw milk but I do not think that is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post
    Fiber and lots of oils are your friend. I had a similar issue, but after tweaking my diet it went away.
    This is good news. I'm going to get some psyllium husk fiber today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
    My lifts have rocketed since increasing my intake of raw milk to close to a half gallon total per day - that's plenty when you are 115# and the stuff is expensive!
    Here you have it, gents. A woman, who happens to be very strong, is downing half a gallon of whole milk a day. She tips the scales at just 115 pounds. She's not drinking 2% or skim. Whole milk. All of you idiots that weigh 165 lbs and are 6 feet tall need to get with the program and drink your milk.

Mr. City, Paleo + milk is highly recommended by John Welbourn and he lacks neither size nor strength. Go for whole milk. Fat is good. Please refer to how much milk Kelly and Gary drink.

As for lactose intolerance, Dastardly is correct. Cow's milk, raw or not, has lactose in it. It may be more easily digested for other reasons, but if you lack the enzyme lactase, raw milk will not save you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I smell BS.

Milk has lactose in it, be it raw or pasteurised.

There are many benefits or Raw milk but I do not think that is one of them.

True, but raw milk still has the live lactase needed to properly break down the milk sugar. Pasteurization kills lactase...hence digestion problems in a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJavs View Post
    True, but raw milk still has the live lactase needed to properly break down the milk sugar. Pasteurization kills lactase...hence digestion problems in a lot of people.
    I've heard this one too. The way I understand it is that if you're lactose intolerant raw cow's milk *may* solve your problem. But it also may not, so proceed with caution.

Brian

True, but raw milk still has the live lactase needed to properly break down the milk sugar.
    This is incorrect. If it had any lactase in it, it would break down the lactose before you got to drink it. This what they do to make Lactaid and why Lactaid tastes different than normal milk (and raw milk). Humans, at least some humans, have the ability to produce lactase to digest lactose. If raw milk is easier to digest, lactase is not the reason. It may or may not have less lactose in it than regular milk, but I would guess there is significant variation between batches of raw and regular milk making any such determination problematic.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 01-20-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction

sushi362 Guest

starting strength coach development program
    will i be able to break my plateau if i switch from 2% to whole milk? Im stuck at 170 lb squat and i am 6'1'' and 170 lbs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast