starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil

Default Olive Oil

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I see people mentioning Olive Oil all the time, but I thought with the new sub-forum we might as well give it its own thread as so many of you swear by it.

How much do you guys have a day?

How do you consume it? How does it taste added to milk?

Also, my corner shop has the biggest selection of Olive Oil I've ever seen, more of a selection of that than anything else in the entire shop. Anything that should stand out when choosing a particular one?

I've never actually tried it beyond cooking in it, and I'm looking to add some extra calories because I can see my weight slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetotail View Post
    How do you consume it? How does it taste added to milk?.
    Urgh !

I use Olive oil to season salads, or pour it in soups or minestrone to add extra flavour.
    Also, I sometimes just pour some of it on a plate, and collect it using pieces of bread as a sponge, like you would do with the sauce left in the plate after eating a pasta.
    My Dad used to make for himself a lovely snack: a slice of nice bread, spread some sugar on it, then pour a film of olive oil. I suppose being sugary does not really belong to the sort of diet recommended here, but I thought I would mention it.

I exclusively use extra virgin olive oil, which in this part of the world means the oil obtained from the first press. Hope this helps,

IPB

Yeah, the milk thing doesn't sound too pleasant to me either, but I've seen it recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetotail View Post
    Yeah, the milk thing doesn't sound too pleasant to me either, but I've seen it recommended!
    It will surely work as a quick way to get a lot of calories and nutrients, but I think that there must be some allowances made for taste.
    Putting some flour, water, eggs, vegetables, beef and gravy in a heavy duty mixer and drinking the resulting concoction would give you the same nutritional values of a nicely made mince pie. But the latter will taste much better, and I think that's not irrelevant.

On the other hand, you can always have a go and mixing oil and milk, and let us know of the results :-)

IPB

I like it. 4 Tablespoons is 480 calories, and it's pretty easy to eat 4 with every meal. So that's almost 1500 calories right there.

I do shots; tastes okay.

I was thinking about olive oil the other night. I'm planning on adding it to my yogurt occasionally, which is essentially just an unflavored tzatziki sauce. I've done shots before, and enjoyed the taste.

Milk with olive oil is much better than straight olive oil in my opinion. I've done alot of both.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    My Dad used to make for himself a lovely snack: a slice of nice bread, spread some sugar on it, then pour a film of olive oil

IPB
    I used to do this except with salt instead of sugar. I always used olive oil on toast instead of margarine/spread etc.

These days I use exclusively butter as I am trying to maximise saturated fat.

starting strength coach development program
    I tried a couple of tbsps of olive oil this morning. The first was okay, the second stayed in my mouth a bit longer, and on an empty stomach, well...

But for a quick bolus of calories and fats, I think adding to a piece of toast or a mix with OJ, as previously mentioned, will work well. Maybe I'll buy a small bottle to keep at work. At 1000 cal/4 oz, that seems reasonably efficient.

By the way, do you all store it at room temp or in the fridge? Thanks,

tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast