starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHEN to Consume Vast Quantities

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    The hormone response immediately around and right after training doesn't mean anything as far as protein synthesis changes in the muscle. I wrote up a big long tract about this.

Hormone changes correlate with a high stress being imposed on your system. They don't at all correlate with the time-course of increased MPS rates (which peak at 24-48 hours post-workout and stay elevated for upwards of 72 hours) or to the actual remodeling of muscle tissue.

There is a rationale for having a lot of protein before (especially), during, and after a workout, mainly due to the synergistic MPS-stimulating effects of circulating amino acids along with resistance training, but that has nothing to do with hormones. It's almost entirely a local-level muscular response.
    Cool. Where can I find your write-up?

And yeah, Stacey, I can see your point about having excess nutrients around the clock. I cover this by doing "blocks", that is two-on/one or two-off. The first day tends to focus on a lot of heavy squat volume. I'm still drinking a lot of milk on the very next day when I do lighter squats for recovery and heavy benches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Cool. Where can I find your write-up?

And yeah, Stacey, I can see your point about having excess nutrients around the clock. I cover this by doing "blocks", that is two-on/one or two-off. The first day tends to focus on a lot of heavy squat volume. I'm still drinking a lot of milk on the very next day when I do lighter squats for recovery and heavy benches.
    He has a free e-book downloadable from his site, www.ampedtraining.com. I don't know if that's what he was talking about. At any rate, you can find lots of other articles from him there too.

-s.

Thanks. Heard of amped, but didn't realize it was PMDL's.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Based on what you just wrote, and given that many of us here are doing three and four day routines (we're always about to train or still recovering from a bout of training), wouldn't it then be prudent to maintain a pretty consistent daily calorie goal for the majority of the week, with protein making up a large part of those calories?

-s.
    If you're lifting say more than twice a week, then yeah you're always recovering from it. And yeah, getting a good bit of protein in as your dietary foundation is always a good move.

I'm a more conservative eater than most of you around here, because I don't have the GFH goals anymore, but I still push a lot of protein even though my daily calories aren't super-high.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Thanks. Heard of amped, but didn't realize it was PMDL's.
    I try not to obnoxiously advertise.

Read my post above yours.
    I'm sure everyone gets sick of my bringing up Lyle McDonald's stuff as evidence, but he does say that, contrary to popular thinking on the matter (which is that 30 minutes is the size of the window during which the body can make optimal use of post-workout nutrients) optimal timing for post-workout nutrition could extend as much as 3 hours after a workout.
    Thanks. I need to read Lyle's articles, and become more informed on the topic.

So is the answer to the topic of WHEN to consume vast quantities, anytime within 3 hours of post-workout?

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    I try not to obnoxiously advertise.
    Then allow me...

One of the best things I've read on the interwebz: http://www.ampedtraining.com/physiqu...-lied-fallout/

What is relevant is the relative strength gains over your lifetime. If you’re a small guy that brings his squat from 100 lbs up to a raw or mostly-raw (say belt + light wraps) 550 lbs, you’ve grown. You had to have grown to move that weight. And I’m banning the first one of you that complains about ‘neural efficiency’. I don’t want to hear that shit. If it was about neural efficiency, every one of those 150 lb kids could just hit the gym 4-5 days a week with singles and eventually ramp up to that load. Why doesn’t that happen?

Moving heavy weights around requires muscle mass.
    I used to be a 150-lb guy who thought neural efficiency would let him get really strong without having to get up to 200 lbs. And I did start with about a 100-lb squat.

You might like to look at Dr. Squat's "Zig Zag Diet" on which he has an e-booklet and several online articles. Basically though, it says "eat more on training days, less on rest days in order to gain more muscle and less fat".

starting strength coach development program
    He has a free e-book downloadable from his site, www.ampedtraining.com. I don't know if that's what he was talking about. At any rate, you can find lots of other articles from him there too.
    This is off-topic for the thread, but I read a few articles on Matt P's site earlier today, and couldn't stop laughing at this excerpt he quoted from the P90X site:
    The secret behind the P90X system is an advanced training technique called “Muscle Confusion,” which accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus, and you never get bored!
    Followed by Matt writing, "'Confuse the muscles'. Really? Somebody just said that, in 2009, and expects to be taken seriously?" (The article was from Sept.) That gem was in Right, Wrong, and Meh.

And on the P90X Web site, "Muscle Confusion" is actually trademarked. I got 3 or 4 giggle fits out of that. Good god, the last thing my muscles need is "confusion"! Life itself is quite confusing enough, thankyouverymuch.

Sorry for the off-topic post; couldn't help myself. My muscles must be all confused from my workout....

-Kate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12