starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing a Keto Diet - advice pls :)

Default Doing a Keto Diet - advice pls :)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm thinking about doing either a CKD or TKD to cut with, I just wanna ask if anyones got any experiance dieting while doing this program?

Is it best to try and maintain 5rms instead of thinking about progressing?

Is there anything you guys changed when doing the diet? I'm thinking of only DLing on a friday before the carb up....

What does CKD and TKD mean?

Cyclical ketogenic diet, and Targeted ketogenic diet.

google it, there's loads of stuff about this.

CKD = cyclical ketogenic diet. Referring to a diet which alternates some period (5-12 days) of very low carb eating with a high-carb refeed (1-2 days typically)

TKD = targeted ketogenic diet. You stay vey low carb all the time except for the intake of carbs (25-50 grams typically) before/after training. this gives all of the 'benefits' of low-carb diets while allowing folks to maintain training intensity.

On a diet, generally you should mainly try to maintain weights. If you make progress, great but it's easy to burn out/overtrain when calories are down. If you schedule one heavy workout after a typical CKD carb-load, that's when you should try to make improvements. So say you train Friday into a Sat-Sun carb-load. You will be STRONG on Monday by dint of being carb-loaded, etc. If you ar going to bump weights, do it on taht workouts. But again, be very aware of the potential to overtrain while cutting.

Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
    CKD = cyclical ketogenic diet. Referring to a diet which alternates some period (5-12 days) of very low carb eating with a high-carb refeed (1-2 days typically)

TKD = targeted ketogenic diet. You stay vey low carb all the time except for the intake of carbs (25-50 grams typically) before/after training. this gives all of the 'benefits' of low-carb diets while allowing folks to maintain training intensity.

On a diet, generally you should mainly try to maintain weights. If you make progress, great but it's easy to burn out/overtrain when calories are down. If you schedule one heavy workout after a typical CKD carb-load, that's when you should try to make improvements. So say you train Friday into a Sat-Sun carb-load. You will be STRONG on Monday by dint of being carb-loaded, etc. If you ar going to bump weights, do it on taht workouts. But again, be very aware of the potential to overtrain while cutting.

Lyle

Thanks man, I think i'm gonna just try to ramp up to top set of 5 instead of doing 3x5 across... Dont wanna overtrain.

Edit, I've just realised it's you Lyle who's posting lol, Your book is great, I'm about 80 pages in.
    Last edited by Aslin; 01-25-2010 at 03:29 PM.

My general 'rules' on maintenance are that you can cut volume (and often frequency) by up to 2/3rds so long as you maintain intensity. So if you were doing 3X5 across or even 5X5 across, you can probably do warmups to 2X5 at a top weight just fine.

Most find that work capacity drops more than top end and the key to maintaining strength/muscle on a diet is keeping the poundage on the bar. So better 2 good sets with sufficient weight than a bunch of half-assed sets.

Lyle

Thumbs up

My general 'rules' on maintenance are that you can cut volume (and often frequency) by up to 2/3rds so long as you maintain intensity. So if you were doing 3X5 across or even 5X5 across, you can probably do warmups to 2X5 at a top weight just fine.

Most find that work capacity drops more than top end and the key to maintaining strength/muscle on a diet is keeping the poundage on the bar. So better 2 good sets with sufficient weight than a bunch of half-assed sets.

Lyle
    Lyle, just a note of thanks for your comments on this and on other threads.

Lyle
    I'm literally on the 5th day of doing TKD (second lifting day was today), and already i've found a loss in my ability to do volume, I really struggled with a 267lb squat for 3 sets... I'll take your advice and see what happens when I do 2 working sets (maybe try 3 on a monday after the carb up?). Like I've said I'm new to ketogenic diets, and I need to read your book.

thanks.

Also Lyle, would you recommend a TKD or CKD approach to Rippetoes program? The program is pretty much all the physical exercise I do.

My fat requirements are also lower than my protein requirements... Is that normal?

how I worked it out...

My bodyweight - 215lbs (recalcualted after 5 days of water loss)
    LBM - 180lbs
    protein - 180g's
    fat (215*13 = 2795 - 500 for defecit - 720 protein calories = 1575 / 9 = 175) soo 175g's of fat....

Sorry for probably asking you shit thats in your book.
    Last edited by Aslin; 01-25-2010 at 06:54 PM.

TKD will probably maintain performance better on a day to day basis since you're getting some carbs/protein arond each workout. But it's not as much fun cuz you do'nt get to eat a box of Cap'n Crunch on the weekend.

To really optimize a CKD means making some training adjustments although it can be done with nothing but heavy work. It's better if you synch up the training with the metabolic state of the diet.

In the case of a SS/Rip type approach, that means that TKD would probably be better. You'll maintain performance better on all ofthe days instead of just the one(s) right after the carb-load.

Depending on your initial BF%age, throwing in the occasional longer refeed (e.g. 5-12 hours) is not a bad idea as well for a variety of reasons.

And a properly set up keto diet for fat loss will usually have dietary fat equal or slightly lower than protein. It's just how it works out when you set calories and protein intake appropriately. Fat will come out lower than that (The old keto diets that were 75% fat invariably shorted protein).

Hope that helps
    Lyle

starting strength coach development program
    It's great that you're posting here, Lyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast