starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creeping fatigue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would deload, or do a week of heavy ass sets for 2/3 reps... say 110% of 5rm.....

Back when I didn't know what the hell I was doing (doing a 5x5 weekly progression as a rank novice), I took a week off, and found that my strength increased over that time. Granted, my squat was around 140-150 at the time. This October, after 6-8 weeks on SS, I took a week off after noticing decreasing strength on the DL and squat, and found that I did not feel any stronger afterwards. In Practical Programming, Rip recommends taking off one "progression cycle", meaning one workout for a novice, one week for an intermediate. So you might try just skipping a single workout and seeing how you feel after that. It's lower risk/cost than taking a whole week off, in that if it doesn't help, you at least won't have regressed as far. I just did that due to not having time to lift for the past four days, and my DL, which had been getting really challenging, felt light and easy.

I used to think a week off was ok and I don' think it is a disaster necessarily, but I would much rather just lighten the load and reduce the volume as much as I need to. I think this helps prevent some detraining and aches and pains from creeping in.

Though I think it is better physically, sometimes mentally a week off completely helps more.

starting strength coach development program
    Welp, I'm taking the rest of the week considering the miserable stall of my deadlift and press, I'm missing reps on a squat deload, and I'm currently on a bench and power clean deload. It's clear I'm overtrained, and I've done this before when I insisted about getting my deadlift to 300 before cutting down the frequency (stupid I know).

I also believe that I'm not eating enough. I got worried about my gut and ate until I didn't feel like eating anymore. I decided to sit down at the dining hall and eat until the point of discomfort. Know what? I feet bloated for maybe 10 minutes but now I feel jumping jack flash. I gorge myself to a 400 lb squat, and should I become a 270 lbs behemoth at the end, so be it. Certain dieting methods can be administered later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123