starting strength gym

Thread: sore wrist

Default sore wrist

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About 6 months ago I had surgery on my wrist. Its all healed now and the doctor has cleared me for anything. However the other day I sprained it pretty bad.

I just started SS and GOMAD and have already seen progress. I dont want to completely stop training but I definitely cannot do bench press or shoulder press or anything heavily involving my wrist.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to still do squats and ab workouts? And then when my wrist heals just jump back in to where I left off?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sos4163 View Post
    About 6 months ago I had surgery on my wrist. Its all healed now and the doctor has cleared me for anything. However the other day I sprained it pretty bad.

I just started SS and GOMAD and have already seen progress. I dont want to completely stop training but I definitely cannot do bench press or shoulder press or anything heavily involving my wrist.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to still do squats and ab workouts? And then when my wrist heals just jump back in to where I left off?

Thanks

Woah woah there, cowboy! What do you mean "sprained" your wrist? How do you know this and what did you do?

-S.

I foolishly decided to arm wrestle a buddy of mine. And needless to say I hurt it. It has been feeling a little better everyday.

And what happened to your wrist to facilitate the surgery?

-S.

I broke my ulna about 8 years ago snowboarding. When my ulna grew back it grew back too long. The surgery was to shorten the ulna, where they removed about 5 mm of the ulna and then put a plate onto the wrist where they cut it in half.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, any time I've sprained a wrist, the pain of it kept me from actually doing anything stressful with it. If you're sure this is a sprain, and if the pain isn't bad enough to keep you from doing anything rigorous with it, then I guess you'll have to decide when to start applying stress to it again via the basic lifts. You may find that certain exercises affect it more than others, such that you can resume doing those lifts sooner than the others. For instance, maybe bench and press hurt it badly and/or make it worse but the deadlift produces tolerable pain that doesn't get worse with further deadlift practice. Then you'd deadlift but not do the other two. This is entirely up to your discretion.

And I'm kind of stubborn when it comes to injuries and tend to put up with a lot shit and just train anyway, so maybe I'm not the best person to be talking about this.

-S.