starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never seems like enough sleep

Default Never seems like enough sleep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't know why, but no matter how many hours i sleep when i workout i start feeling sleepy and lethargic. At first i thought it was insufficient sleep so i went to bed even earlier but it doesn't have seen to made much of a difference. I get about 8-9 hours of sleep. The only thing i find is that i've been getting a shitload of dreams - really weird ones too. I don't think i'm overtraining because i've just recently deloaded the squat and added a light day on wednesday. So what gives?

peyote?????

Confuzzled: you have a ton of topics closely related to this one. The question that is always asked, but never really answered is how much you are eating. Seriously, calculate it for a week or two. I would bet that you are not eating enough.

You are a good kid, but if you want to get your training to the next level, you need to lock down each variable you can. Sleep, quality of sleep (shit going on, noise), caloric intake, foods that irritate you (some people don't tolerate some foods very well), time of day that you train, when you eat (before and after training, how far apart)... all of these are variables to play with and can result in your general feeling of fatigue or drowsiness during your session.

Also, Stacey asked this question of someone recently... how's the morning tent? If it's not there T could be an issue.
    Last edited by Sgsolberg; 01-26-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Additional personal question

In all seriousness probably the level of stress you are under. I started to experience the same thing. Possibly some early stages of depression. For me to keep me out of the nuthouse I take some 5-Htp Supplements, along with 3x day multivitamin and VitC. It may also be that it is winter and not much sunlight out. I've been diagnosed with Depression and S.A.D. seasonal affective disorder. I got tired of the side effects of pharmacuticals and the fact that every answer a doctor seems to give is in a pill. So for me the answer to my depression was/is a little supplimentaion and excercise.

But again for the sleep thing. Just keep an eye on it because it is an early sign. Check those stress levels and maybe add the multivitamins. My energy has been better since I"ve added those a few weeks back after the Bill Starr recomendation I read from PP Vol2.

As for the weird dreams as far as I know dreams occur in REM sleep and that is the deepest part of your sleep. So most likely you are getting to the point of regenerating.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    peyote?????
    peyote? sorry no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    Confuzzled: you have a ton of topics closely related to this one. The question that is always asked, but never really answered is how much you are eating. Seriously, calculate it for a week or two. I would bet that you are not eating enough.

You are a good kid, but if you want to get your training to the next level, you need to lock down each variable you can. Sleep, quality of sleep (shit going on, noise), caloric intake, foods that irritate you (some people don't tolerate some foods very well), time of day that you train, when you eat (before and after training, how far apart)... all of these are variables to play with and can result in your general feeling of fatigue or drowsiness during your session.

Also, Stacey asked this question of someone recently... how's the morning tent? If it's not there T could be an issue.
    Food is probably an issue. For some strange reason i've had a loss of appetite lately. A portion of food i used to devour easily is starting to feel like i'm going to throw up before even finishing it.

And no need to worry about the morning teepee. It's there.

In all seriousness probably the level of stress you are under. I started to experience the same thing. Possibly some early stages of depression. For me to keep me out of the nuthouse I take some 5-Htp Supplements, along with 3x day multivitamin and VitC. It may also be that it is winter and not much sunlight out. I've been diagnosed with Depression and S.A.D. seasonal affective disorder. I got tired of the side effects of pharmacuticals and the fact that every answer a doctor seems to give is in a pill. So for me the answer to my depression was/is a little supplimentaion and excercise.

But again for the sleep thing. Just keep an eye on it because it is an early sign. Check those stress levels and maybe add the multivitamins. My energy has been better since I"ve added those a few weeks back after the Bill Starr recomendation I read from PP Vol2.
    Never really taken a multi, because i eat quite a wide range of fruits and vegies daily, but i'll consider getting myself some.

And as far as stress. I'm still on uni holiday. Probably the most stress-free time of the year

As for the weird dreams as far as I know dreams occur in REM sleep and that is the deepest part of your sleep. So most likely you are getting to the point of regenerating.
    Yeah that's what i thought. Just no idea why i'm feeling fatigued even with good sleep. Lack of food might definitely be a problem.

go to fitday.com

Track all you eat for 2 weeks. Track your sleep, take copious notes. Track if eating more carb makes you feel better, or if something else works for you. This will let you know how much you really are eating.

Ok i'll try that Sgsol. Fitday.com eh.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Food is probably an issue. For some strange reason i've had a loss of appetite lately. A portion of food i used to devour easily is starting to feel like i'm going to throw up before even finishing it.
    You may not want to consider appetite as a reliable indicator of how much food you need to eat. I force myself to eat more than I want to, and I'm still probably not eating enough. Eat small portions more often. Drink more milk. Approach eating with the same intensity you do lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Its funny you should mention dreams, because when I think about i've started dreamin a hell of a lot more since my squats have been getting heavier - funny really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast