starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk vs Food

Default Milk vs Food

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm up from 165lbs to 195lbs doing SS and milk. My question is once at a good weight is it better to cut calories, to maintain weight not loose, with food or milk? I enjoy milk and it is very convenient for me. I'd rather cut the food calories and keep drinking the whole milk. Anybody have experience with this? By the way I'm 5'8" tall 37 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by BTW_72 View Post
    I'm up from 165lbs to 195lbs doing SS and milk. My question is once at a good weight is it better to cut calories, to maintain weight not loose, with food or milk? I enjoy milk and it is very convenient for me. I'd rather cut the food calories and keep drinking the whole milk. Anybody have experience with this? By the way I'm 5'8" tall 37 years old.
    Whichever choice helps best facilitate your body weight goal (loss, gain, maintenance) is the one you should go with. Convenience is a legitimate reason for choosing one over the other IMO.

-S.

I have no scientific info to support this, but for me I am still drinking alot of milk (about 3 quarts per day) and am eating less than I did when gaining weight. I have stayed between 225-230 (at 6') and am still making strength gains. I decided it would be better/easier to clean my diet up and use milk to get the calories I needed for maintenance/minimal growth and still make gains.

Not to sound snide but maybe a little bit of both? Maybe cut back some of the food (preferably simple carbs/sugars) and cut the milk down from full GOMAD to a few tall, cool, delicious and refreshing glasses of awesome muslcle-building mana....

(*runs off to fridge to poor a glass of said awesomeness*)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    I have no scientific info to support this, but for me I am still drinking alot of milk (about 3 quarts per day) and am eating less than I did when gaining weight. I have stayed between 225-230 (at 6') and am still making strength gains. I decided it would be better/easier to clean my diet up and use milk to get the calories I needed for maintenance/minimal growth and still make gains.
    That's a pretty solid strategy imho. Tidy up the diet then fluctuate the milk level based on goals (be it mass gain, maintenance, or fat losos).

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie_jrc View Post
    That's a pretty solid strategy imho. Tidy up the diet then fluctuate the milk level based on goals (be it mass gain, maintenance, or fat losos).
    Seconded.

That is what I was thinking and hoping to do. Do you think "tidying" up the diet means less starchy carbs? For example my wife, who still does step aerobics and thinks I'm getting a little fat, cooks some sort of pasta dish 3-4 nights a week for dinner. We do eat plenty of meat, but after work it is just easier for her sometimes to make a pasta dish. Any who, I was thinking to pick at the pasta and get most calories from milk on those nights. Would this be a decent strategy to avoid all the starchy carbs but yet get enough calories to support my new weight and training goals?
    P.S. I'm not a dick and am capable of cooking dinner. I just work longer hours than she does and I get home later.

That is what I was thinking and hoping to do. Do you think "tidying" up the diet means less starchy carbs? For example my wife, who still does step aerobics and thinks I'm getting a little fat, cooks some sort of pasta dish 3-4 nights a week for dinner. We do eat plenty of meat, but after work it is just easier for her sometimes to make a pasta dish. Any who, I was thinking to pick at the pasta and get most calories from milk on those nights. Would this be a decent strategy to avoid all the starchy carbs but yet get enough calories to support my new weight and training goals?
    P.S. I'm not a dick and am capable of cooking dinner. I just work longer hours than she does and I get home later.
    When my wife and I have pasta I usually have a normal size portion of the pasta and load up on meatballs and sausage. The main thing I cut out was sweets. I was eating a good amount of ice cream, cookies, desserts, whatever while gaining. It was the holidays and I wasn't going to say no. Now I basically eat my three meals each day, snack on stuff like nuts and fruit, and limit the junk food. Combined with my milk I hit about 4kcals on training days and at least 3500 cals on off days.

Edit - I did add a protein shake to ensure my protein intake was adequate with the lower caloric intake.

Ask her to cook up an extra pair of sausage, and cut your pasta portion in half. You could also whip up a weekly batch of food on the weekends for some nights. I like making a big pot of meaty soup or stew or baked beans, freezing half of it, and eating the other half over the next couple days.

starting strength coach development program
    You could switch to 2% milk too, and cut a few calories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast