starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite fish oil?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Damn, Lyle, that Vitacost site has a serious discount on the Carlson's. I had been buying it locally and paying a lot more. Thanks for the link.

I have used vitacost a lot, best online prices.
    Vitamin Shoppe has good prices and local stores that will match their online price on items. For example the carlson lemon flavored fish oil is around 22 bucks online, but at the store is like $48, but if you tell them, they will match the price.

Also, I buy the fish oil caps from sams club. It is the same price and content as costco, but you only get 350 caps instead of 400, however the sams club members mark brand is enteric coated and smell of vanilla which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
    Costco for pills
    Carlson's liquid from Vitacost

They did a consumer report analysis of a bunch of different brands. With 2 exceptions, all met label claims and none had contaminants. There is NO reason to buy anything but generic except to fill the pockets of the people selling them.

Lyle
    Lyle, I was wondering what you thought of the NSI brand liquid, it has almost the same potency as Carlson's, 1.57g EPA and 1g DHA vs. 1.6g and 1g per 2 teaspoons, but it's a bit less expensive.

Has anyone tried to go with Robb Wolf's recommendation of 1g fish oil per 10# body weight? For me that comes out to 260#/ 10# * 1g = 26g fish oil. Which using carlson is 26g / (1.6g/tsp) = 16.25 tsp or 16.25 tsp * (1 bottle / 100 tsp) * $22.35/bottle = $3.63 per day in fish oil!

Let me restate that: $3.63 per day in fish oil! Putting aside the moment the general displeasure of downing 16.25 teaspoons ( 5.4 tablespoons) of fish oil per day.

I think Robb's guidance aims to achieve a 1:1 omega-6mega-3 ratio. Has anyone actually tried this? Have they noticed a difference over, say obtaining a 4:1 ratio instead?

Quote Originally Posted by strengthstarter View Post
    Has anyone tried to go with Robb Wolf's recommendation of 1g fish oil per 10# body weight? For me that comes out to 260#/ 10# * 1g = 26g fish oil. Which using carlson is 26g / (1.6g/tsp) = 16.25 tsp or 16.25 tsp * (1 bottle / 100 tsp) * $22.35/bottle = $3.63 per day in fish oil!

Let me restate that: $3.63 per day in fish oil! Putting aside the moment the general displeasure of downing 16.25 teaspoons ( 5.4 tablespoons) of fish oil per day.

I think Robb's guidance aims to achieve a 1:1 omega-6mega-3 ratio. Has anyone actually tried this? Have they noticed a difference over, say obtaining a 4:1 ratio instead?
    5 tablespoons a day of fish oil seems like an awful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    5 tablespoons a day of fish oil seems like an awful lot.
    Yes, I know! It is why I asked about it.

Still, the guy swears by it and can point to research in humans to show benefits up to a 1:1 ratio (typical american diet is 20:1). Eating Paleo w/ grass-fed/wild meats puts me up in the 3:1-5:1 range but any pushing it any further requires eating quite a bit more fish or some pretty hefty supplementation.

I get this:

£9.95 ($15.82 for 600ml)

Kinda expensive, but it tastes delicious and is very rich in nutrients compared to trying to swallow ten caps every day.

of which DHA - 460mg
    and EPA - 345mg
    Total Omega-3 - 920mg
    Vitamin A - 970mcg (120%)
    Vitamin D3 - 10.4mcg (208%)
    Natural Vitamin E - 5.5mg (55%)
    It is also apparently the highest quality oil available in the UK, and I believe that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I get this:

£9.95 ($15.82 for 600ml)

Kinda expensive, but it tastes delicious and is very rich in nutrients compared to trying to swallow ten caps every day.

It is also apparently the highest quality oil available in the UK, and I believe that too.
    I have used Cod liver oil myself, it is very omega 3 rich and good stuff overall, but it's also very Vitamin A rich. With the recommendations for omega 3 amounts you would at the least have to consume 5 servings yielding something like 5mg of Vitamin A. Hypervitaminosis A is some nasty stuff, so I would be careful using that as your only source of EFAs.

starting strength coach development program
    That's interesting Lyle. I remember on the Xfit boards a buncha people throwing warnings out to be super careful of your fish oil brand (toxicity, impurities, etc.). Thanks for the tip, the Costco brand is much easier on the wallet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast