starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinched Nerve in Back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Are you taking any measures to alleviate possible (probable) inflammation? NSAIDs, occasional icing, Icy Hot/Flexall before you go to sleep, etc. Fairly innocuous methods which coupled with some extended rest may get you through this. Good luck.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    Ouch, sometimes it takes me a few weeks to recover when I throw my back out. Hope you recover soon!
    Thanks man, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lofton View Post
    Are you taking any measures to alleviate possible (probable) inflammation? NSAIDs, occasional icing, Icy Hot/Flexall before you go to sleep, etc. Fairly innocuous methods which coupled with some extended rest may get you through this. Good luck.

tim
    I'm only 23, so I'm getting my first taste of having to actually nurse my injuries. I've been applying heat to it and using inversion boots, but that's about it. Maybe I'll step it up. I need to get back to squatting!

I just recently tweaked my back when my (almost) linear program got me to 225lb for the squat. I was able to do 5, 5, then 2 for 225lb and my lower back got tweaked just the slightest. It felt like a tug, probably the multifidus muscle.

Anyway, I'm very sensitive to my lower back getting hurt because my sciatic nerve gets pinched between my L5-S1 vertebrae; it's been happening for almost 8 years now, and I've even lost half my calf muscle on the right side.

After that workout, I got soooo lucky because I was searching on the board recently and found a link to an old Bill Starr article about programming Good mornings into your daily routine, using half the weight of your 1RM for squats.

Last week for 5 days I did 2x10x110lb, felt great. Then I decided to go for a 1RM PR on the squat and got 275lb. Now for this week, I'm doing 2x10x130lb and my back is feeling great!

I'll try and find the forum post and the link to the article. The blog is:

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horner View Post
    I just recently tweaked my back when my (almost) linear program got me to 225lb for the squat. I was able to do 5, 5, then 2 for 225lb and my lower back got tweaked just the slightest. It felt like a tug, probably the multifidus muscle.

Anyway, I'm very sensitive to my lower back getting hurt because my sciatic nerve gets pinched between my L5-S1 vertebrae; it's been happening for almost 8 years now, and I've even lost half my calf muscle on the right side.

After that workout, I got soooo lucky because I was searching on the board recently and found a link to an old Bill Starr article about programming Good mornings into your daily routine, using half the weight of your 1RM for squats.

Last week for 5 days I did 2x10x110lb, felt great. Then I decided to go for a 1RM PR on the squat and got 275lb. Now for this week, I'm doing 2x10x130lb and my back is feeling great!

I'll try and find the forum post and the link to the article. The blog is:

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/
    Much appreciated. Thanks a lot bro

Looks like all Bill Starr articles have been pulled from that blog, but if you act quick you can use the following google search strings to find "cached" copies. I highly recommend them:

"Rehabilitating the Lower Back Bill Starr"

and

"The Lower Back Bill Starr"

Best,

Jeff

I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't set you and myself straight on this back rehab program. I've been doing it wrong: both the protocol and the exercise.

After rereading the "Rehabilitation the Lower Back" article, the protocol that Starr lays out is 3x75xbroomstick of Good Mornings every day. Try to run the reps up to 100. After five days move to an unweighted bar and drop down to 75 reps. There's more to it, but I think that's enough pain to start with.

Also, the Good Morning exercise he prescribes is to place the broom/bar high on your back, place the feet about 12in apart, slightly pigeon toed. While keeping your weight on your toes, lean your upper body forward and try and place your chest on your thighs, rounding your lower back. This is tough and I'm not sure I can do this 100%.

Best,

Jeff

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome, man. Thanks a lot for the help. I'm definitely going to try this out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12