starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is rest the best for recovery?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Dastardly, could you give a typical day of eating for you? Also ,how much sleep?
    I have been writing this down in my log recently.

yesterdays eating: Non training day.

orange juice, 2 scrambled eggs, a plate full of chips (like thick cut fries) with a helping of green peas,, Tea.

Chicken & potato Curry (made sure to eat some bone marrow & liver too), with rice.

Cup of Tea.

A whole thin crust pizza, with a lot of cheese.

Glass of Milk, 5 homemade chicken burgers in a sandwich, with butter.

Cod Liver oil, Tea.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-27-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I want to focus absolutely on strength. I do not care about cardio/endurance fitness unless it affects the lifts.

I only mentioned the endurance thing because I noticed it slightly. I can feel this quite strongly on my power cleans (actually hang cleans) where I am making little progress and just ending up rather tired. I cannot clean anymore now than I could do during the summer. It hasnt really moved on.

I may just be imagining it, but I feel that I used to have a lot more energy over many more sets than I do now. Was working with 5x5 last year and never felt "too tired" to be explosive for cleans. I was also doing more exercises. This may be the weather or other factors. But I feel it is a possibility that I was riding my bike hard in the summer.

What is more important to me is how it affects muscle recovery. Will doing more moderate exercise help me progress squat, deads, press & bench better? Or is NO physical activity really the best option here.
    Well, how much has the weight gone up on your lifts? The heavier the load gets, the bigger toll it takes on you. I rest a good 8-9 minutes between squats, not because I'm winded, but I feel worn.

Your clean issue could stem from a form errors.

Dastardly, that looks like quite a bit food. Any idea how many calories that is.

@PVC: Absolutely, I should of mentioned that.

Dastardly,

I pretty much agree with BruteForce, but I'd add that a lot of this comes down to the individual.

If you're unhappy with the decrease in your cardio abilities, try working in a short, light cardio workout once a week and see how it affects your recovery from lifting. If it doesn't have a negative effect, try increasing the intensity, duration, and even frequency. When it does affect your recovery (and it will negatively affect your recovery at some point), you will need to pull back on the cardio.

All this needs to be within reason. You can't try to hit PRs past 2x bodyweight squats and train for a marathon on your off days and have your body recover from both. On the other hand, nobody expects you to absolutely nothing on your off days either. I figure if construction workers and firemen can do SS, I can do more than sit behind my desk during my recovery periods.

Right now I do very light cardio twice a week and a moderate cardio session once a week. I think it is helping me to lose weight and it doesn't seem to be affecting my recovery at all yet. that said, I'm working with weights well below my previous maxes because I had hernia surgery in January. As my weights get heavier, I may have to cut back on the cardio to make gains.

MSingh: You are flat out wrong about people needing 10 minutes to recover between sets because of lack of general conditioning. SS provides only limited cardiovascular training, but it is enough to suppport the demands of SS. Ten minutes seems a bit excessive to me, but heavier weights require more recovery time, and it isn't because heart and lungs can't keep up. I would be willing to bet that the members of the board you identify as having good general fitness still need relatively long periods of rest when they're close to PR sets.

orange juice, 2 scrambled eggs, a plate full of chips (like thick cut fries), Tea.

Chicken & potato Curry (made sure to eat some bone marrow & liver too), with rice.

Cup of Tea.

A whole thin crust pizza, with a lot of cheese.

Glass of Milk, 5 homemade chicken burgers in a sandwich, with butter.

Cod Liver oil, Tea.
    That is nowhere near enough food. Not even close. There's your recovery issue right there. I see 175-200 grams of protien there maybe. You need to double or triple that amount at least and then you'll start recovering.
    Last edited by BruteForce; 02-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    That is nowhere near enough food. Not even close. There's your recovery issue right there? I see 100 - 125 grams of protien there maybe. You need to double or triple that amount at least and then you'll start recovering.
    I have no idea what food goes for over there, but really add on the eggs. Eat them in denominations of 6. Two eggs is nothing if you're serious. They have to be cheap. I know tea is a big thing for you guys, cant you have a liter of milk with it? and some eggs? Try to eat more buddy....

Dastardly, you need to get a lot more of your calories from protein. You're getting a moderate amount of protein in but its nothing compared to the insane amount of carbs you are eating. A carb won't rebuild your muscle. Turn that pizza into a 10 oz hamburger with whole grain bun and lettuce and tomato. eat 6 or more eggs in the morning. Have a big ass steak at night. Get that protein number up there and you won't have recovery issues anymore.

As far as cardio goes, we had a big long ass argument on that subject. just search it.

I have managed to put on some weight recently, but I still weigh 170lb tops.

According to the general rule of 1g protein per 1lb bodyweight, I should be just about getting it.

My average diet seems to have roughly the same meat, egg & milk quantities suggested in Bill Starr's book. He also states the 1g per lb rule in there too.

Most of my calories has to come from fat & carbs, it is plainly just a lot cheaper. Eggs & meat are expensive. If I was in the USA I could probably do it, but not here in Europe.

Everyone seems to be suggesting getting 5000+ kcal a day. But how is a person supposed to achieve this without a ton of carbs too?

Arent calories (from any source) necessary for recovery? I also hear so many people saying Carb's are the best for putting on weight. And even in PP it suggests that insulin is the most exploitable anabolic hormone. More carbs = more insulin right?

And more insulin (while hitting my protein & calorie requirements) is what supposedly causes the epic weight gain isnt it? I mean isnt the whole carb/sugar thing the reason why GOMAD works?

This thread is getting very diet related, as everything here tends to

I was really just interested about how regular sports type exercise affects a strength training programme.

I have managed to put on some weight recently, but I still weigh 170lb tops.

According to the general rule of 1g protein per 1lb bodyweight, I should be just about getting it.

My average diet seems to have roughly the same meat, egg & milk quantities suggested in Bill Starr's book. He also states the 1g per lb rule in there too.

Most of my calories has to come from fat & carbs, it is plainly just a lot cheaper. Eggs & meat are expensive. If I was in the USA I could probably do it, but not here in Europe.

Everyone seems to be suggesting getting 5000+ kcal a day. But how is a person supposed to achieve this without a ton of carbs too?

Arent calories (from any source) necessary for recovery? I also hear so many people saying Carb's are the best for putting on weight. And even in PP it suggests that insulin is the most exploitable anabolic hormone. More carbs = more insulin right?

And more insulin (while hitting my protein & calorie requirements) is what supposedly causes the epic weight gain isnt it? I mean isnt the whole carb/sugar thing the reason why GOMAD works?

This thread is getting very diet related, as everything here tends to

I was really just interested about how regular sports type exercise affects a strength training programme.
    You believe that 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is sufficient, you are eating WAAAAAYYY more fats and carbs than protein, and you wonder why you are stuck at 170lbs. That is funny

the title of your post = "Is rest the best for recovery," not, "How does regular sports type exercise affect a strength training program." If you aren't eating or sleeping enough, it doesnt matter what you are training for, you won't recover, period.

Double that protein intake, stay hydrated, do a couple days of cardio per week, and you won't have any recovery issues.

And since you are 170 lbs, DRINK YOUR G.O.M.A.D.!

If I have understood it right, a gallon of milk has 200g of carbohydrate.

I have explained in other threads, that I cannot handle more than 1 pint of milk per day without getting violent bowel explosions. But I am trying to increase it steadily.

I would love the convenience of GOMAD, for hitting both calorie and protein targets easily. But people seem to forget that milk has a fuckload of carbs, fat & sugar too. So it is pretty similar to being on a carb/fat heavy diet anyway.

SS doesnt even have much diet advice in it, but bill starrs book has quite a lot. Is the 1g per lb of bodyweight really insufficient?

Like I explained, I cannot afford much more protein. I am going to start eating a can of fish on training days. And hope I can gradually increase my milk tolerance.

starting strength coach development program
    If I have understood it right, a gallon of milk has 200g of carbohydrate.

I have explained in other threads, that I cannot handle more than 1 pint of milk per day without getting violent bowel explosions. But I am trying to increase it steadily.

I would love the convenience of GOMAD, for hitting both calorie and protein targets easily. But people seem to forget that milk has a fuckload of carbs, fat & sugar too. So it is pretty similar to being on a carb/fat heavy diet anyway.

SS doesnt even have much diet advice in it, but bill starrs book has quite a lot. Is the 1g per lb of bodyweight really insufficient?

Like I explained, I cannot afford much more protein. I am going to start eating a can of fish on training days. And hope I can gradually increase my milk tolerance.
    You are 170 lbs. You need the milk. You also need much more food proteins. Tuna fish is 22 grams per can, and its super cheap. 1 lb of 93/7 ground beef is 88+ grams of protein, and its 3 dollars. What did you pay for that frozen pizza you ate? how often do you eat out? you should be able to eat 300 grams of food protein for about 10 bucks or so a day. But thats only if you want to get to a respectable body weight. If you wanna put on weight, you have to eat. It doesn't matter how you train, if you don't eat enough, you won't grow.

1 gram of protein per pound is certainly insufficient.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast