starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is rest the best for recovery?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You can get free-range eggs for about 10p each in bulk. 60p for a mighty breakfast omelette that a growing man should have no problem polishing off.
    Tinned sardines go for 30p a can, tuna's even cheaper in bulk (though less nutritious). Sardines aren't the tastiest of fish, but them's good eatin'.
    Own-brand mixed nuts, cheap mince, own-brand frozen mixed veg, etc etc. Put a bit of planning into your shop, buy in bulk where you can, and avoid frivolities.
    You can get a lot of decent calories on a tight budget, it just requires more effort/discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    1 lb of 93/7 ground beef is 88+ grams of protein, and its 3 dollars. What did you pay for that frozen pizza you ate?
    1lb of beef here is closer to $6

The pizza was homemade.

I do not eat out unless it is cheap fried fast food which is no more expensive than home food.

I get the message here, I just bought a bunch of canned fish which I will eat on training days in addition to existing diet. But it isnt cheap either. 150g of canned tuna is about $1.50

This might all sound like small pennies, but it adds up. Its gonna take some getting used to having my diet cost like 4 times more than it used to. But I guess I will have to buckle up and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    You can get free-range eggs for about 10p each in bulk. 60p for a mighty breakfast omelette that a growing man should have no problem polishing off.
    Tinned sardines go for 30p a can, tuna's even cheaper in bulk (though less nutritious). Sardines aren't the tastiest of fish, but them's good eatin'.
    Own-brand mixed nuts, cheap mince, own-brand frozen mixed veg, etc etc. Put a bit of planning into your shop, buy in bulk where you can, and avoid frivolities.
    You can get a lot of decent calories on a tight budget, it just requires more effort/discipline.
    Do you have any tips on where to get my eggs and sardines? Cheapest place for sardines I found is 35p a tin.

The cheapest eggs I have found are £1 per six, but they tend to sell out at that place so I find myself spending £1.20+ per six. 10p eggs would be fantastic.

Dastardly,

Do they have Lactose-free milk where you live?

I am lactose intolerant and wouldn't even be able to drink a pint of regular milk, but I buy Lactose-free milk and can do my GOMAD with no problem.

Hey Dastardly,

I agree with BruteForce. You're not eating enough animals to become one.

We've all definitely heard the "1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight" line before. However, recovery problems are the cue to increase that.

I forget who said this, but at your level of adaptation and strength, it's going to be true that there's no such thing as overtraining, just undereating.

I do understand that protein, especially meat, can be expensive. Maybe look into cheap protein powders? It's not hard to get another 80-100 grams of protein if you just sneak a scoop in to various dishes or drinks throughout the day.

Default Avoid the violent bowel explosions......

Das

It seems you get the idea that everyone is trying to relate. The only idea I'll add that might help is to really really get into a regiment with your diet. I mean as strict with your eating as your training. Put 30-50 grams of protein in your stomach every three hours, come hook or crook. Tuna is great for this. you can carry it around with you, whatever just put lots of protein food in you like clockwork. Also remember one day is one day. You'll need to eat a high protein vol for weeks and weeks at a time to get results. If you cant on one day, so sad, but start again tomorrow and do it. If you cant drink milk you cant drink milk, but their are other ways (albeit not as convenient) to get what you need. 30-50 grams once you wake up and every 3 hours or so. One word. Whey. Good luck.

Dastardly - ASDA sells eggs at 9.6p each, a little more for free range. 9 tins of tuna for £6, 3 tins of sardines for £1, etc etc. All available online.
    Aldi and Lidl are even cheaper, though don't deliver.
    If you go to local butchers and buy a months worth, they should give you 10-15% off.

Whey isn't a substitute for food, but is useful to help top up protein. I use
    http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co....5d998m34a0r2v1
    Last edited by Rorschach; 02-27-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Last edited by Dastardly; 02-27-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: pm'ed instead.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd be surprised if that's not just a bit more than 100 grams of protein.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast