starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab, Eating, and Cutting

Default Rehab, Eating, and Cutting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok so my shoulder is on the mend right now. Havent lifted in about 4 weeks now, aside from one squat session a couple weeks ago, and some light high rep oh presses.

My thoughts/questions are:

1) Does anyone with experience know if this would be a good time to try and trim some body fat by eating less?

2)Will cutting while not lifting heavy be effective? No point If i just loose a bunch of muscle.

I feel like this might be a good time to loose some fat because my appetite has dropped so much from the lack of lifting. Also, I dont need to worry about recovering for training sessions everyother day.

At the same time I'm paranoid about loosing muscle mass. My upper body was really starting to fill out and my lifts were progressing really good, so I'm not sure if it matters whether or not I cut now or wait untill im lifting heavy again.

What do you guys think?

You'd lose a lot of muscle. You want to get back into training ASAP. What sort of injury is it?

If you eat a lot of protein (~1.5 grams per pound of LBM/day) you won't lose too much muscle. If you're able to do some strength work (less volume) that doesn't compromise your shoulder rehab, that will also help limit the muscle loss.

I think it mainly depends on how much fat you want to lose. If you're talking about 5 lbs. of fat in 4-5 weeks while you rehab, that should be easy to do without sacrificing much muscle or strength. If you diet hard and drop 10 lbs. of fat in 4-5 weeks, your muscle loss could be significant.

That being said, limiting calories while trying to recover from an injury might slow your shoulder rehab. In my limited experience, it's usually best to focus on one goal at a time.

gzt- Im not exactly sure to be honest. My very slightly educated guess is some sort of suprapinatus injury.

There is no way I can eat like I was before but Im still eating more than most people I know, trying to keep a relatively high intake to maintain muscle and let my body heal. Guess I wont bother trying to make a cut.

What sort of training are you doing as rehab?

starting strength coach development program
    Was doing some empty bar presses for 20 reps. After one week of that (3 sessions) i tried to do some light benching and hurt myself again. Waited for a little over a week and just started the light pressing again.

45x20x3- I'm planning on adding a few lbs this week to see how it feels.