starting strength gym

Thread: Likely MCL injury

Unhappy Likely MCL injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last night at BJJ i was grappling and my knee got twisted.

It hurt like hell. I immediately iced it and took a NSAID but this morning it is sore as hell. I think i may have damaged (stretched/torn) my MCL.

I dont think it is torn right through because i can actually walk on the leg (although it is very painful) but i just cant bend it without huge amounts of pain.

Here is the problem. I have to drive for 7 hours tomorrow in a car with a manual gearbox. How long do these things normally take to clear up?

It's probably gonna hurt tomorrow. Is it swollen or does it feel like you have any fluid in the joint eg when you press down on your patella? If so I'd want to see a doctor or PT.

it is a bit swollen but nothing huge.

My knees always have fluid in them (and arthritis too unfortunately) below the patella but my actual patella seems sturdy enough.

That sucks. A few years ago I tore my LCL (100%, it's gone) when I stupidly attempted a gogoplata on a 300 lb. berzerker dude. He smashed all his weight on my leg and the snapping noise was shockingly loud. The MCL is quite a bit more important than the LCL, so hopefully it's only a minor tear.

Lots of ice and lots of NSAIDS (I'd go with double or triple the recommended dose) and try and keep your weight off it as much as possible. A long car drive is going to contribute to the swelling, so if you can postpone, that would be a good idea.