starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might be gaining too much fat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Moncrieff MacMillan View Post
    You didn't do the program. Your squat only went up 50lbs and your bench 15lbs. You eat too many carbs for your strength .
    I agree. YNDTP.
    I would advice a consult with JP to get your diet sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltshumeltz View Post
    By the way, I do have an issue with being quick to tell people they didn't do the program. Not everyone reads the book cover to cover before their first workout, and then re-reads every chapter to triple-check their understanding of form and to fix every single problem by their second workout. It takes time to read and learn, especially if you are busy, and doing things wrong early (For example, unknowingly squatting high because you don't remember every single thing you just read because it was unknown territory at the time) can set you back early
    But he didn't do the program. You've listed a bunch of excuses as to why someone would not be able to do the program. Which is fine I guess, but it still means he didnt do the program.

Yes. Push through. You can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    RDA isn't about becoming a monstrous lifter. It is about not dieing early. RDA also doesn't recommend 1g/lb protein. Basically, i'm saying it is a moot recomendation for our situation.
    I agree RDA is moot for our situation.

OTOH, RDA is approx 2mg/day. He's recommending 200mg/day. That's 100x, which sounds extreme. The spread between protein RDA and 1g/lb is somewhere are around 3x.

Are there any actual studies on the subject?

What do you eat to get this much B6?

FWIW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6#Toxicity

Quote Originally Posted by rdp View Post
    RDA for B6 is 2mg/day. At 1g of protein per pound of body weight, you'd be recommending 100x the RDA for a 200# person. This can't be right.
    Bear in mind that to get 200-300grams of protein from whole foods, you are likely to get a decent percentage of that.

Also bear in mind, that Starr liked the idea of hyperdosing vitamins for recovery/sports performance.

Technically, any of us who take protein supplements are hyperdosing on protein/amino acids. As we are consuming much more than we could could do by eating real food. Hyperdosing vitamins is the same thing.

Vegetarian diets are notoriously low in important vitamins & minerals, barely enough for a sedentary lifestyle.

Honestly though, at 189 and 6'1 you are hardly fat, with this in mind however reevaluating your diet is going to be the number one priority right now if you feel as though you are.

I would myslef would probably actually just cut down on the overall gross amount and make higher protein choices, eating enough to drive progression but not enough to add a lot of bodyfat - as a veggie though this is going to be more difficult as it won't be as simple as say, swapping some bread for meat.

You might just be experiencing bloating from the increased diet if you say your waist size hasnt increased though

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 6', 32 old, almost 220lbs from 161lbs, wearing size 37-38 pants from 32. I'm about 18-20% bodyfat, so if your waist size hasn't increased, you have nothing to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12