starting strength gym

Thread: Shin Splint

Default Shin Splint

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I played in softball game on July 31st, and developed a shin splint. I took a week off, and everything seemed fine. When I got back in the gym today squatting it started to hurt again. Anybody have any magic cures for this?.

No magic, just time. Sorry.

That doesn't really sound like a shin splint. Sounds more like a strain.

Shin splints is something inexperienced people get when they run with bad technique/or too hard without the necessary adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by WaWa Bird View Post
    I played in softball game on July 31st, and developed a shin splint. I took a week off, and everything seemed fine. When I got back in the gym today squatting it started to hurt again. Anybody have any magic cures for this?.
    This might sound re-tah-did but it works for me everytime. When I get shin splints from running I will start doing what I can best describe as "toe raises". Whenever I am sitting on the couch, in bed, at a desk, I pull my toes up towards my knees while keeping my heels on the floor. I do like ten or twenty of those whenever I think about it and it works wonders. After about a week of doing that they are gone completely. You should feel the muscle on your shin pulling your toes up.....Hope that helps.

After running cross country and track for six years, I had learned a couple of things.

First, very few people actually get legitimate splinting of the shins. It was stated that necessary adaptations hadn't been made. This brings me to my second point, which is that "shin splints" are typically calf muscle imbalances. If you already knew this, my apologies.

I wish I had some useful ideas on how to program in something that will rehabilitate shin splints, but I've never had them myself. All I ever had injury-wise was Osgood-Schlotter (not really an injury so much as it is a temporary condition associated with growth) and a stress fracture in the left fibula from overuse.

Perhaps calf raises with very heavy dumbbells while standing on stairs will help.

Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post
    This might sound re-tah-did but it works for me everytime. When I get shin splints from running I will start doing what I can best describe as "toe raises". Whenever I am sitting on the couch, in bed, at a desk, I pull my toes up towards my knees while keeping my heels on the floor. I do like ten or twenty of those whenever I think about it and it works wonders. After about a week of doing that they are gone completely. You should feel the muscle on your shin pulling your toes up.....Hope that helps.
    This is also useful to me. In addition, I use calf compression sleeves, which provide support and relieve pain. I have tried ointments and ointments, none of them are useful.

starting strength coach development program
    Buy some quality new shoes.