starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal sleep conditions?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    For reals? You got any links or anything on that? Sounds like woo to me, but if it ain't, I'd be interested in finding out more.
    I wouldn't be surprised by sunlight, as you can -feel- sunlight on your skin.
    I would be surprised by indoor lighting, though, as it's nowhere near as high energy.

Edited to add: Though I've also taken some rather good naps laying in the sun, as I imagine nearly everyone has.

I suppose he means sunlight (vitamin d) has an effect on your skin

I wouldnt be surprised to learn that artificial light has an influence, Id just be surprised if scientists and researchers were able to uncover such a thing and prove it since so much is not known about light in general, from a scientific point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    My sleep is often interrupted by going out murdering prostitutes and homeless people.
    With that kind of fun, who could sleep at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mgmguy View Post
    I suppose he means sunlight (vitamin d) has an effect on your skin

I wouldnt be surprised to learn that artificial light has an influence, Id just be surprised if scientists and researchers were able to uncover such a thing and prove it since so much is not known about light in general, from a scientific point of view
    He wasn't referring to vitamin d production, he was referring to the fact that light is the main influence on the synchronization of the body's circadian rhythm (pretty much your internal clock). Photoreceptors in your eyes that sense light are the primary source for this; however, some research has shown that the skin has light-sensitive receptors that can affect circadian rhythms as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McG View Post
    With that kind of fun, who could sleep at all?
    Certainly not the prostitutes or the homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmguy View Post
    since so much is not known about light in general, from a scientific point of view
    It's a particle and a wave, gravity makes it go bendy, and it's fast as hell--what else do we need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosis View Post
    personally I like it cold so i can use blankets, not just sheets. and dark! no lights not even LEDs on electronic devices, they bug me. i turn on fans for white noise.
    This x2. Having my own battles with sleep (no problem getting to sleep, just scheduling enough). I also pop a couple of melatonin tablets, they won't put you to sleep, but they help to set the sleep pattern, help me to quickly fall back to sleep after a disturbance, and the effect wears off quickly with exposure to light, another way in which exposure to light adversely affects sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    How long have you been training?
    Two years.

Sleeping problems get worse with:

- More sets
    - More excercises
    - High intensity (e.g. cleans or 5RMs)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    For reals? You got any links or anything on that? Sounds like woo to me, but if it ain't, I'd be interested in finding out more.
    Maybe start here? http://www.trickstutorials.com/index...content/sleeps

starting strength coach development program
    What I'm experimenting with now is going to bed at dusk, no matter what time that happens to be, and waking up with the sunrise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast