starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recovery and Stress: Why am I getting weaker?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Obviously MazdaMatt has never actually worked a cashier job.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    How is working a casheir job stressful? Perhaps you should be doing some stress management research and figure out how to look at things in a less stressful way. I used to work cash at a Tim Horton's (Canadian coffee shop. If "Canadian" were a religion, Tim Horton's would be church). You know who's stressed out? A guy that just got his 3 kids dressed and ready for hocket at 6:30 in the morning and has to wait in line 25 minutes to get his caffein fix to get through his day and he might be late for his first kid's game. When that guy gets to the cash he tries his damnedest to offload that stress on the poor schmuck serving that coffee... Just be invinsible to the stress. When that asshole says "This is rediculous! I've been waiting 25 minutes for a coffee!" I'd just say "Wow... why'd you do that?" *grin* Nothing makes me more relaxed and him more angry than that response.

As Farve in Supertroopers says "Ten deep breaths".

The job gets stressful when I don't get enough sleep. I work at a Walgreens, so plenty of the customers are old and seem have to the "now I own you" mentality. Customers are rude and insensitive, and the management is incompetent, always bitching, and apathetic to the important stuff. This is nothing out of the ordinary for a retail job. It's just that I need sleep to deal with this. If I don't get sleep, I get stressed. If I get stressed, I get tired and then I can't train.

Less excuses, more solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob cloud View Post
    Less excuses, more solutions.
    More sleep, better diet, manage stress, more conservative loading of the deadlift

There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Obviously MazdaMatt has never actually worked a cashier job.
    Perhaps you should have read the rest of my post.

Seriously, it is a casheir job. You're not saving the world, so put as much stress-stock into it as it deserves... none.

Matt, I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm working bomb squad duty here; there are just some days where I wouldn't mind driving my car through the store.

Haha... Then the next time you feel that blood vessel burst, just close your eyes and think about what you could do to that cash counter with a stolen F350 and a running start.

Anyway, the point i was making was that you may want to take a little bit of the effort your putting into removing and dealing with the stresses and redirect it to some internal stress management. Do some reading, watch a video, figure out how to say "Meh".

That's a good point, Matt. Sleep definitely stress easier to deal with. Cutting down on the coffee is another good stress reducer. Being organized is yet another. I've been applying these to my life, and things have been feeling much better.

Of course, we'll see how I hold up when I return to TM. I'm pretty sure that squatting on volume day was fucking me up good. 325 for 5x5 felt me so sore and burnt out that I couldn't even do my recovery day squats. I tried dropping a rep from each set, so it was 330x4x5. I was still wiped out by intensity day. KSC posted an interested TM template in his log where volume day squatting is only 70% of your 1RM. My estimated 1RM is about 408, so that would put me at doing 285 for 5x5.

starting strength coach development program
    5x5 is fucking hard, no matter what. Nothing wrong with doing a bit less weight and reducing your rest times to see if they still spur intensity day progression. Don't forget the protein.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast