starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prowler/conditioning/work

Default Prowler/conditioning/work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am currently 220. I've been trying to slowly add in prowler work, but because of the huge amount of stress my job puts on my legs, t sometimes isn't practical.

I work in a dairy cooler. Part of my job is dragging stacks of milk for hours at a time. This places a lot of stress on the hamstrings. So much so that I was unable to continue linear progression past 245 on squats. I've since switched back to 5/3/1 and the decreased frequency is much better suited.

My question is what is your recommendation for conditioning work with a job like this? On occasion I will have nights that are more stressful than others and just wreck my legs. Today I just did an uphill walk on the treadmill.

The reason for wantin to do conditioning is to balance out the enormous amount of food I am forced to consume with lifting 4x a week and still perform at a high intensity at work.

How old are you and are you gaining weight? I actually think some prowlering would help your squat and work-related fatigue if done right. Also, how long have you been working in the dairy cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    How old are you and are you gaining weight? I actually think some prowlering would help your squat and work-related fatigue if done right. Also, how long have you been working in the dairy cooler?
    I'm 27. Been gaining weight steadily for thr last few months. Went from 175 to 220. Once I became conditioned to thr job it was much easier to gain. Been working here for approximately 10 months.

I'm not fat, although I am constantly bloated with all of the free milk I'm allowed to drink. For reference here is what my diet looks like:

- preworkout: 16oz milk w/ scoop protein, 1 cup oatmeal, banana
    - post workout - typically a double cheeseburger or Chinese buffet. If I have i make my own food which consists of 10 scrambled eggs, 4 pieces bacon, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 glasses of milk
    - when I get to work I eat 2 1$ double cheeseburgers.
    - hours later 1 pb and j
    - lunch is either 1lb of beef patties or 2 more double cheeseburgers
    - 2 hours later another pb and j
    - while at work 1/2 gallon- 1gal whole milk
    - whatever wife makes for dinner

What days do you train and do you work Mon-Fri?

Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday I workout. Press, deadlift, bench , squats.

Work schedule is weird. 5 days a week. Always off Sunday. The other day rotates. Usually either Wednesday or Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    I'm 27. Been gaining weight steadily for thr last few months. Went from 175 to 220.

- post workout - typically a double cheeseburger or Chinese buffet. If I have i make my own food which consists of 10 scrambled eggs, 4 pieces bacon, 2 pieces of toast, and 2 glasses of milk
    - hours later 1 pb and j
    This should be a sticky for everyone who posts saying 'I can't eat enough food.'

Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday I workout. Press, deadlift, bench , squats.

Work schedule is weird. 5 days a week. Always off Sunday. The other day rotates. Usually either Wednesday or Thursday.
    I'd do a prowler session 1x per week, preferably on Sunday or Saturday. Push it for 15-20 seconds (50 feet on high handles and 50 feet on low handles) with a weight you can sprint with. You may alternate high-high and high-low (handles) week to week. Rest 2-3 minutes between "rounds". Start out with 7 total sprints. Foam roll, stretch, etc. after prowlering. Treat it as a workout as far as nutrition.

Thanks Jordan. You're awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Ghost View Post
    This should be a sticky for everyone who posts saying 'I can't eat enough food.'
    Lol eating has never been a hard thing for me. I can lose or gain weight when I need to. I've pushed myself past 220 on 3 different occasions now.

Gaining the weight is harder in my opinion. It takes a lot of energy to keep it up constantly and eat when you're already full

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 27. Been gaining weight steadily for thr last few months. Went from 175 to 220. Once I became conditioned to thr job it was much easier to gain. Been working here for approximately 10 months.

I'm not fat, although I am constantly bloated with all of the free milk I'm allowed to drink. For reference here is what my diet looks like:

- hours later 1 pb and j
    Damn. If I ate like this, I would turn back into 250 lbs of blubber. I swore to myself I was never going back there.

Just by increasing my kcals from 2200 to 3000 on workout days over the last two weeks, I've gained three lbs already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast