starting strength gym

Thread: Weight loss and weight lifting

Default Weight loss and weight lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there!

I'm a 31 year old male, weighing in at about 118 kg (260ish pounds I believe). I'm 190cm (6 feet 3 inches or so, I think), so the weight doesn't sit too badly on me, but I'm carrying alot more fat than I want to. Due to real life (having 2 kids in a short timespan, buying a new house and trying to make ends meet), my workouts took a backseat for a long while, then completely died out for the last year.

Now I'm looking to both lose the fatty weight, and get back into proper weight training. I know from experience that as soon as I start lifting (which I've already done), the desire for more strength will kick in, and my dieting will become harder to follow.

Current program is working out 2 days a week, doing Deadlift, Press, Powerclean on day A, and Squat, Bench, Powerclean on day B. I mix in conditioning workouts in the days between, as my energy and time constraints allow. Not long sessions, but kettlebell complexes and boxing the hell out of the boxing bag for a while.

My diet is 90% clean - I allow myself 1 day each week where I can eat whatever kind of food I want for 1 big meal. Still no candy/soda or any sugar products. I eat my carbs for breakfast and lunch, and then limit them heavily for dinner. In the evening I try to stay away from carbs alltogether. This approach seems to be working well, I've lost many inches all over. Now with the weight training scheme going, I'm already feeling the "I want to get stronger"-itches, and my food intake is slowly moving up (still clean).

What's your take on this approach? Should I keep doing increasing the weights I lift from week to week still trying to lose weight with the clean diet, or should I lift, eat alot of healthy food to get stronger, and then cut the food down when I get to a comfortable place strengthwise? My main concern is that if I start gaining strength, that comfortable place will just keep moving forward for years and years

Thanks for your attention during this insane wall of text - sorry!

What's your take on this approach? Should I keep doing increasing the weights I lift from week to week still trying to lose weight with the clean diet, or should I lift, eat alot of healthy food to get stronger, and then cut the food down when I get to a comfortable place strengthwise? My main concern is that if I start gaining strength, that comfortable place will just keep moving forward for years and years
    There's no reason to avoid carbs at night unless it somehow spontaneously makes you more compliant with the proper overall carbs, cals, macros, etc. I'd continue to try and add weight whilst eating the proper amount of food (usually adjusting carbs and fat as needed). That being said, I don't really understand what you mean by your "comfortable place" or how the notion that gaining strength and having a good body composition are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    There's no reason to avoid carbs at night unless it somehow spontaneously makes you more compliant with the proper overall carbs, cals, macros, etc. I'd continue to try and add weight whilst eating the proper amount of food (usually adjusting carbs and fat as needed). That being said, I don't really understand what you mean by your "comfortable place" or how the notion that gaining strength and having a good body composition are mutually exclusive.
    Thanks for your reply! When it comes to gaining strength and a good body composition, I think it comes down to something I chose to call "Fat Man's Fear" - now that I'm losing size I'm afraid of overeating. All I ever read is "to get strong, you need to EAT, EAT, EAT". Perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding - can I shed fat and actually get stronger if I eat proper, clean food and none of the "bad" food? I'm doing fairly well diet wise, and have no inclination to stray from the path.

Quote Originally Posted by ambivalens View Post
    Thanks for your reply! When it comes to gaining strength and a good body composition, I think it comes down to something I chose to call "Fat Man's Fear" - now that I'm losing size I'm afraid of overeating. All I ever read is "to get strong, you need to EAT, EAT, EAT". Perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding - can I shed fat and actually get stronger if I eat proper, clean food and none of the "bad" food? I'm doing fairly well diet wise, and have no inclination to stray from the path.

If your macros, fiber, conditioning, and training program are appropriate, yes you can lose fat and get stronger at the same time.