starting strength gym

Thread: What is the most productive thing I could do?

Default What is the most productive thing I could do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm female, 48, about 135lbs, kinda chunky build, 5'3".

Goals: to be stronger without being too much fatter, to feel healthy, to look good in a realistic way for myself (looking like a fitness model is not realistic.)

I read your forum regularly and have been incorporating what you say to others as much as I can into my own life.

1. HIIT: I do recumbent bike sprints 2x a week, 8 rounds, 22sec on, 1:30 off. I feel they've helped my cardiovascular performance, endurance and even strength. This has been a major win for me.

2. Strength training: I started with SS 3x a week a year ago but had recovery problems and dropped it back to 2x a week. May or so I switched to Karl's 5/3/1 variation for several months. I've been attempting Texas method lately (just the volume and intensity day and not the other day in between).

Where I am now, after a few set-backs and long vacations and working my way back slowly:
    Squat: 120lbs volume day, 135 heavy day
    Press: 55 volume day, 62.5 heavy day
    Bench: 67.5 volume day, 75 heavy day
    Deadlift: 140 x 8 last time
    I screw around with other stuff (pull-ups, curls, etc.) after I do these.

Strength Goal: Would like to be stronger on squats and will continue to make cautious progress on deadlifts (hurt myself twice), but with the upper body stuff, my goals are conflicted. No progress and painful shoulders means sometimes I think I should just do what the curl bros do and forget about strength.

3. Diet: I find it pretty difficult to get anywhere near 200g protein a day. More like 150-160+. The carb and fat ranges you suggest to other women don't seem terribly difficult to achieve. Eating this much protein has left me feeling better than I have ever felt in my life, even if I still struggle at getting stronger.

Here's my question: I feel like I have a lot of extra energy. What would be the most productive thing I could do with it? Should I go for a jog once a week or take more walks? Should I do more vanity lifting (curls and triceps and other stuff)? Should I switch back to the regular 3x5 and try to do it 3x a week? Should I squat more? Deadlift 2x a week? Should I stay the course and just enjoy feeling energetic and healthy? Suggestions?

I would train more, though incorporating it slowly, i.e. add a 3rd day where you only do 1 or 2 sets of 3-5 reps on Sq, press variant, and then some vanity stuff (don't go full retard).

Then I'd titrate volume up over time as your recovery allows or goals dictate.

Glad to hear things are going well :-)

If I add the third day, how heavy should the squats be? Heavier than the volume day or lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If I add the third day, how heavy should the squats be? Heavier than the volume day or lighter?
    I'd play it by feel, i.e. work up to a single set of 5 on week 1 that feels kind of heavy but not impossible and form is still perfect. That sort of "perceived exertion" is a pretty good way to gauge things

Okay. I will give this a shot. Thank you.