starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inflamed achilles tendon and plantar fascia

Default Inflamed achilles tendon and plantar fascia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a problem with my lower right leg, the achilles tendon is inflamed and the plantar fascia hurts as well. Just walking around hurts. I've had a lingering case of plantar fasciitis for over a year, and after the recent achilles thing they've seemed to merge to some sort of perfect storm of inflammation of the lower leg.

The day after deadlifts a couple of weeks ago my achilles and lower calf hurt like hell. There was swelling all around the lower leg, the achilles / calf muscles were super tight. I've not deadlifted since, though I've kept on squatting. Squatting doesn't help, but I'm pushing into PR territory so I want to keep it up, though not at the cost of injuring myself further.

I went to see a phyiscal therapist with a certification in sports injuries. He recommended eccentric calf-raises(?) 3 sets og 15-20 reps twice a day for 6 weeks. He asked me to consider stop deadlifting, like forever. That's not gonna happen. I'm thinking do a ibuprofen regime for the inflammation, 3200mg a day for 5 days. It's not that long ago that i did an ibuprofen regime due to inflamed bicep tendon. I don't know how often you can do that, or how long between regimens.

Would self-myofascial release with a lacrosse ball, and/or foam rolling of the achilles/calf be an idea? I've ordered a Voodoo X Band from Rogue, perhaps compression might do good. Any tips or recommendations for getting rid of this inflammation of the lower leg?

Don't do any of that crap. Listen to your PT. You'll be able to DL/squat again when the tendon is better. When it gets in better shape to handle this do calf raises, static and dynamic stretching on a regular basis as prehab. ART can help now but do not so this to yourself since I suspect you will make things worse. Don't fucking use a lax ball. Don't take NSAIDs. Don't be a fucking idiot and keep doing things that aggravate it. You don't wanna rupture it.

Seriously u are an idiot. I hope u didnt order a voodoo band just for your Achilles' tendon. And this shit is really easy to figure out on your own. Do a ducking googl/YouTube search for Achilles tendonitis

Well, that escalated fast. I already did a google search, and just wanted to see if anyone here had experience in dealing with this sort of thing. From what I've gathered NSAIDs and compression are part of recommended treatment. That's why I asked about the Voodoo Bands. I did not order them just for this, not that it matters. I've used them with good results on my knees, so I bought one for myself. If they can help with this achilles tendonitis than why not use them, eh? Foam rolling also seems to be beneficial. I don't view foam rolling, NSAIDs and compression as "crap" in this regard.

I found this interesting: http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...ot-tendonitis/. I know Pendlay is a douche, but if compression works that well it might very well be worth a shot. Regarding the NSAIDs/ibuprofen, I'm not sure whether to use lower dosage for longer time than the high-dose short duration that constitutes the "ibuprofen regimen" on this board. That's why I'm asking for advice in this subforum. No need to get all pissy.

TREATMENT:
    1. Rest
    2. No squatting/deadlifting
    3. Calf stretching / eccentric training, twice a day
    4. Ice packs / frozen peas
    5. Ibuprofen
    6. Foam rolling

Your attitude sucks. I hope you rupture the damn thing. Do what I have said or do whatever you want but you have been given a fair warning. NSAIDs and foam rolling will make it worse. I don't feel like explaining why. You need practice trusting me so Ill leave it at that.

People who care are pretty much going to ignore this when they see that Eugene is commenting on it. See whether Rip is willing to give you his advice in his Q&A. Remember to provide the information detailed here.

This is the best advice you're going to get. Whatever you think about me my injury advice is earnest. Rip tore his Achilles. I asked him if he thinks calf raises would have prevented it and he distracted the conversation. If you don't already know, mismanaged Achilles tendonitis/osis is pretty much the only way to rupture an Achilles. See where this is going?

Quote Originally Posted by Flimflam View Post
    If you don't already know, mismanaged Achilles tendonitis/osis is pretty much the only way to rupture an Achilles.
    This is bullshit and is a good indication of how much Eugene actually knows. Ignore his abusiveness and get some real advice.

Your attitude sucks. I hope you rupture the damn thing. Do what I have said or do whatever you want but you have been given a fair warning. NSAIDs and foam rolling will make it worse. I don't feel like explaining why. You need practice trusting me so Ill leave it at that.
    Geez dude, lighten up, will ya. Your advice of calf raises, static and dynamic stretching are already on the list. Foam rolling and/or compression I'm still not sure about, whence the questions. Here's a shortened list from http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00147

Nonsurgical Treatment:
    Rest
    Ice
    Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication
    Calf stretch
    Eccentric Strengthening Protocol
    Bilateral heel drop
    Single leg heel drop

This is pretty much what my PT said, though he would prefer NSAIDs in gel form rather than pills. I did do some extra searching on NSAIDs now and some sources say that NSAIDs should not be used for more than a week or two, some say NSAIDS are ineffective on achilles tendinitis, some say NSAIDs will only mask pain and hinder rehab that way. I've not seen sources saying NSAIDs have downright detrimental effect.

You need practice trusting me so Ill leave it at that.
    No offence man, I don't really know who you are and I don't have the habit of trusting unsubstantiated advice from anyone when said advice contradict orthopedic sources online, the dickish attitude notwithstanding. As I'm sure you know, there's good advice and bad advice on internet forums. We can just leave it at that, that's fine by me.

starting strength coach development program
    Wrong again Simma. Unless you are 70 years and did something extreme there will be degeneration and irritation before the whole thing blows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast