starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't sleep through the night

Default can't sleep through the night

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    G'day all,

Every night I wake up to piss around 3am. This happens even if i restrict fluid 5 hours before sleep, so I'm resigned to it.

But I usually can get back to sleep within 15 minutes.

Will waking up this way have an impact on the beneficial hormonal effects of sleep? (read: fuck up my gains and man stuff) Short and long term?

i figure that if it will, i might spend the $ on seeing what's wrong (my GP said it's probably habitual and didn't want to help).

I saw some pieces online saying total amount of sleep is what's important, others saying waking up in the early morning is significant because it interrupts the most important part of sleep.

would appreciate any help/advice!

IANAD and do the same 'early morning constitutional' intermittently. My personal feeling is that if you're easily and readily going back to sleep it's not a huge issue. If you were getting up at 03:00 and not sleeping after I think it would have negative effects.

yeah, i may just be paranoid.

Sleeping the whole night in one uninterrupted block isn't normal. Nice, but not normal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

Back before cheap artificial lighting, everyone got *way* more bed-time in the dark than they needed for sleep. They spent time every night awake, relating to their spouses (wink wink nudge nudge), praying, talking, etc.

I lost the habit of sleeping in one block when my first child was born and never got it back. Like most older people I'm up a couple times every night. So long as the sleep adds up to enough for you, it's fine. If your alarm clock wakes you from a sound sleep most mornings, you aren't getting enough sleep.

I assume your GP checked your prostate and didn't find anything to worry about, instead of just dismissing you outright.

It's only a problem if you can't fall back asleep. There's been some anthropological research on the subject that indicates that the canonical model of sleeping for 8 hours straight is not typical for humans:

http://www.thehealthculture.com/2010...odel-of-sleep/

Thanks for the links guys, very helpful. Doc didn't check my prostate, but that could be because I'm 28. More likely because she didn't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by armo View Post
    Every night I wake up to piss around 3am. This happens even if i restrict fluid 5 hours before sleep, so I'm resigned to it.
    You might have the cause and effect backwards. When we wake up for whatever reason, our bodies start producing urine, so it may be the waking up that makes you have to piss, rather than needing to piss waking you up.

Sleep apnea can wake you up, GERD, and probably a whole host of other conditions.

hey yeah, hadn't even thought of that. so if unrelated to urine, could be a bunch of things...wat do

Quote Originally Posted by armo View Post
    hey yeah, hadn't even thought of that. so if unrelated to urine, could be a bunch of things...wat do
    You might be able to train yourself to sleep through the arousal....maybe a time-release Ambien for a week or so? Or melatonin before bedtime? There are also a lot of sleep hygiene recommendations you can find on the web. (cold temps, no web surfing near bedtime, etc.)

I used to have a problem with this, but part of what made me actually get out of bed was worrying that the need "to go" would only get stronger. I've since learned that I can often ignore the sensation and fall back to sleep, so I can avoid becoming completely conscious.

starting strength coach development program
    I wish I only woke up once during the night, lol. I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast