starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trochanteric bursitis / hip bursitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    It seems that after a week of not squatting and doing more volume with less intensity for the deadlift that I'm virtually pain free. My plan is to reintroduce squats next week with some very light sets, maybe up to 80kg for 3x5. I'll take the advice given and keep a narrow stance while shoving my knees out. Hopefully we will all manage to remain pain free from now on.
    Glad things are looking up. Best of luck with your plan - sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've recently become interested in this condition as I've been experiencing similar symptoms. I have never used a wide stance with my squats. Interestingly for deadlifts I supinate my right hand and the condition is in my left hip. For the past few weeks the pain is more of an aggravation and is manageable if I stay on top of it with daily rolling, stretching, mobility work. I've also been sitting on a lacrosse ball under my left cheek when I drive. Not sure what else to do at this point other than to stop squatting.
    Well - you can try a break and see if conditions improve. A week off did nothing for me so I had to look at either not squatting much longer term or addressing the problem while still squatting. Still working through it as described. Varies day to day - and definitely does not like hours of sitting at work. Sleeping after a heavy squat session is pretty rough. I'll be adding ice & ibuprofen after my next session to see if that derails the cycle a bit. Best of luck.

Update. Conditions have improved for me enough that squats have not been nearly as painful. In mid-April I took a 9 day break from squats (overseas trip) and when I returned I reduced my squat workouts from 3 days/week to 2. The volume/workout has also decreased as I've been doing triples and singles. I have foam rolled, used a lacrosse ball and stretched sometimes twice/day. I have also used a lacrosse ball under my left cheek during my hour long work commute and have tried to avoid sleeping on my left side. I know that I need to keep doing these things to stay on top of this condition. As stated before, sitting for long periods makes it flare up.

I've been having that tearing hip pain, is yours gone for good? What did you fine helped?

My condition is fine until I increase squat and deadlift volume. When I do this I start doing the things I mention in my 5-12-2015 post and this helps minimize the issue. I'm currently on a HLM program doing 9 sets of squats weekly and deadlifting once/week for 1 heavy set.

Ice the shit out of it.

Take your motrin or even something stronger (prednisone?) for the inflammation.

Ask your PCP about an injection for greater trochanteric bursitis.

(And try weird things like not lying on that side, not wearing tight pants, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Ice the shit out of it.

Take your motrin or even something stronger (prednisone?) for the inflammation.

Ask your PCP about an injection for greater trochanteric bursitis.

(And try weird things like not lying on that side, not wearing tight pants, etc)
    Hey Tib,

I've been dealing with hip pain (primarily left, but the pathology is bilateral) due to snapping-hip/trochanteric bursitis for several years. MRI/X-rays ruled out FAI/labrum tear, radiologists impression was bilateral gluteus medius tendinopathy, unable to rule-out bursitis, possibly due to snapping-hip syndrome. Underlying latent pain has pretty much been present for at least 4 years, and it flares up in intensity without a clear pattern. Sometimes it flares up when I'm completely sedentary for several months (as it is currently), sometimes it doesn't, but when I am training it is guaranteed to intensify once I get over 3 plates on the squat. My form has been confirmed by an SSC this past summer and I've tried the usual home remedies like foam-rolling, stretching the IT band, NSAIDs but the relief is short lived. The best, and longest lasting (but still temporary), relief I found was from a chiropractor in my area that did some Graston therapy on it. I decided to finally heed Rip's advice to get a genuine IT band release from an ART practitioner.

Long story short, I know you live in my area (Easton if I recall correctly), and it seems like you have some experience with the condition. Have you ever had ART (or any other technique) performed on your hip? If so, by whom? I've only been able to find one ART practitioner within a reasonable distance (Quincy).

Thanks
    Last edited by tnumrych; 12-28-2016 at 11:46 AM.

I’m desperately trying to get this to go down my doctor said hip bursitis and set me up for physical therapy, I’ve been on the phone a lot today trying to see if I can afford it and I’m terrified that I can’t. I don’t know what to do. It’s been a few weeks of loading weight up to my 3 rep range where I’ll do 3 sets of 295 I use a very wide stance for it so I may have just been cheating even if I get to parallel. The pain started about two weeks ago. I’m always excited for leg day I feel strong doing it. Now I’m in a really rough place cuz It’s one of the only things I consider to be passionate about. I’ve been working out for about two years now (on and off since 16 but now I’m 26 and dedicated) what do I doooo I don’t want to lose my gains

Quote Originally Posted by Squatstar View Post
    I’m desperately trying to get this to go down my doctor said hip bursitis and set me up for physical therapy, I’ve been on the phone a lot today trying to see if I can afford it and I’m terrified that I can’t. I don’t know what to do. It’s been a few weeks of loading weight up to my 3 rep range where I’ll do 3 sets of 295 I use a very wide stance for it so I may have just been cheating even if I get to parallel. The pain started about two weeks ago. I’m always excited for leg day I feel strong doing it. Now I’m in a really rough place cuz It’s one of the only things I consider to be passionate about. I’ve been working out for about two years now (on and off since 16 but now I’m 26 and dedicated) what do I doooo I don’t want to lose my gains
    If the pain is that severe you'll just have to squat light, correct form, and be careful progressing

The trick I have been using so far has been to lower weight and over exaggerate the hip drive. I basically feel like I am going around the pain. I'm now up to 195# the hip drive is less exaggerated and the pain is still gone.

starting strength coach development program
    The standard treatment for this is an iliotibial band release. Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12