starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab Nutrition

Default Rehab Nutrition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I've been following your recomp guidelines, and it's working (albeit very slowly). Currently averaging 2600 kCal per day, 250/230/70 with 35g fibre. non training days are slightly lower carb and higher fat.

I'm currently dealing with a back injury that's going to have me doing Starr rehab and then a reset and LP on squats and deads (maybe press too). What are your thoughts on nutrition in this time, when I'm doing less work? Is it a good time to drop calories and try to cut some fat a bit quicker, or do I need the calories to assist with the rehab?

My initial thoughts are to keep protein at 250, but drop carbs to around 150 per day, and then slowly add them back in as I get towards my current work sets. Any advice?

thanks, Simon

You need the calories to maintain current muscle mass and to support rehab of your injury. I'd recommend continuing to slowly adjust carbs and fat down as you need to optimize body composition.

Cheers Jordan, thanks again for taking the time out of your own prep and training to answer or stupid questions

Quick follow up question if I can: given I have a history of both disc and facet joint injuries should I be supplementing with fish oil, or are the claims of "improved joint health" pretty much bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Quick follow up question if I can: given I have a history of both disc and facet joint injuries should I be supplementing with fish oil, or are the claims of "improved joint health" pretty much bullshit?
    I don't think there's enough evidence to support its wide use for that purpose, but you might try it and see how it makes you feel.

my N=1=not much effect. Thanks again

Au contraire- if it makes a difference to you it might be a very large effect

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Au contraire- if it makes a difference to you it might be a very large effect
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think he was saying it didn't make much of a difference for him, rather than saying his n=1 doesn't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think he was saying it didn't make much of a difference for him, rather than saying his n=1 doesn't matter much.
    I think you're right. My reading comprehension fails at times.

starting strength coach development program
    I was going to make a joke about extrapolation from incomplete data sets, but I won't now....