starting strength gym

Thread: For those who have (had) shoulder pain from squatting..... my experience.

Default For those who have (had) shoulder pain from squatting..... my experience.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I used to have pain in my shoulders I attribute to inflexibility. Had to stop squatting for other reasons, so the pain eventually went away... however...

Last August I had to attend a mandatory defensive tactics class. One of the exercises we do is to use an arm bar to take a bad guy down and cuff him. We use our right hand to twist his right hand clockwise when he's facing us, then place our left hand on his right elbow. Once on the ground face down, we kneel on his shoulder with both knees at a 45 deg angle and place the twisted arm between our knees. The arm is pointed straight up.

When this was done to me in practice, I felt an immediate relief from the shoulder pain. The same with the other shoulder. This relief lasted about a week.

So it appears that this type of stretching is effective for some types of shoulder pain.

What you describe is very similar to what I learned in aikido. I frequently use the hand twist with the elevated elbow as one of my general arm stretches.
    Do you think it was the rotation, or the kneeling on your shoulder that did it? I guess both could be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    What you describe is very similar to what I learned in aikido. I frequently use the hand twist with the elevated elbow as one of my general arm stretches.
    Do you think it was the rotation, or the kneeling on your shoulder that did it? I guess both could be beneficial.
    I think maybe both...but mostly the twisting. What I'm going to do is do OHP first, then a similar stretch as I described, then my squats... maybe that will help.

Generally seems like you have overly tight front deltoid maybe? I personally have extremely overtrained deltoids (years of boxing) and I found that unless I stretch my shoulder I have incredible shoulder, wrist and elbow pains. The problem with the stretch you describe is that it's easy to dislocate shoulder this way. The guy from mobilitywod shows good shoulder stretches for squats here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iiKibqIQ20