starting strength gym

Thread: Collagen Hydrolysate & Tendinopathy

Default Collagen Hydrolysate & Tendinopathy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there any biochemistry/physiology that would suggest the possible efficacy of a collagen supplement (with or without vitamin c) in healing tendons/tendinopathy or perhaps even preventing tendon pathologies?

Yea there's been some data that shows it's absorbed via the intestine and accumulates in the cartilage to influence a host of enzymes and cellular processes. As far as outcomes, they (like most for pain) are mixed so it'll be interesting to see how that works over time. Other cool stuff that's currently de rigeur are dry-needling and topical glycerol nitrate (yea for angina, lol) patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea there's been some data that shows it's absorbed via the intestine and accumulates in the cartilage to influence a host of enzymes and cellular processes. As far as outcomes, they (like most for pain) are mixed so it'll be interesting to see how that works over time. Other cool stuff that's currently de rigeur are dry-needling and topical glycerol nitrate (yea for angina, lol) patches.
    I'm going to "borrow" some nitro paste off my ALS truck...

Jordan is a word of warning to some people whose BP tends to run on the lower side, to be careful with trying the nitroglycerin, lest they want to find themselves on the ground, or are we talking about dosages that won't have the same vasodilator effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Okay thanks Jordan.

And I happen to already be receiving dry needling AND using nitro patches lol. I suppose that makes me pretty damn fashionable.

But seriously though: the nitro patches give some pretty nasty headaches. I suppose I'll add some collagen hydrolysate to the mix as well now.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    I'm going to "borrow" some nitro paste off my ALS truck...

Jordan is a word of warning to some people whose BP tends to run on the lower side, to be careful with trying the nitroglycerin, lest they want to find themselves on the ground, or are we talking about dosages that won't have the same vasodilator effect?
    Eh vasodilation likely still occurs (admittedly I haven't read any of the pharm studies or know if they exist), but the dose of the patches are like 1.25mg/day compared to nitro patches or sublingual nitro for angina, which are given at 0.4mg/hr or 2.5mg 4-6x/day, respectively. So yea, a lower dose but definitely still be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Vanderkroft View Post
    Okay thanks Jordan.

And I happen to already be receiving dry needling AND using nitro patches lol. I suppose that makes me pretty damn fashionable.

But seriously though: the nitro patches give some pretty nasty headaches. I suppose I'll add some collagen hydrolysate to the mix as well now.
    Fashionable for sure Hope you're on the mend buddy!