Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Form check hip pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dldyer View Post
    Hip injury form check - YouTube
    415 squat - YouTube

I'm having that terrible hip flexor pain often talked about on this forum. I was going to see if anyone can identify a technique issue that could be causing this. I have been struggling with this for a while now. MRI showed no labrum, tendon, or muscle damage. Does anyone think direct hip flexor strengthening may help? That's about the only thing I haven't tried. And advice is appreciated.
    If the pain kicks in just above parallel, and worsens with increased depth you might have bursitis. No amount of strengthening will help. It's the motion that's aggravating the injury, and so it's the motion that needs to be restricted. One option that helped for me was tightening up my squat stance width, which helped dramatically. I also got got some coaching on my squat form for other reasons, but it also helped take a little bit of the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by TKPK View Post
    If the pain kicks in just above parallel, and worsens with increased depth you might have bursitis. No amount of strengthening will help. It's the motion that's aggravating the injury, and so it's the motion that needs to be restricted. One option that helped for me was tightening up my squat stance width, which helped dramatically. I also got got some coaching on my squat form for other reasons, but it also helped take a little bit of the pressure off.
    I think you may be right on withy the bursitis. I guess I'm just going to have to lay off squatting. So narrowing your stance helped?

starting strength coach development program
    It did. When the injury didn't go away, I did some searching around this site and saw some others who noted that they had narrowed their stance. I made small repetitive adjustments until I got to a place where I could squat without pain. I had to drop some weight on the bar (about 15%) and build up comfort in in the position. It beats not squatting for three months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12