starting strength gym

Thread: Injured on the first day on SS program?

Default Injured on the first day on SS program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Newb lifter here, I'm thinking a combination of lifting too much and poor form has me injured, already, after my first workout.

Happened during the squatting part, on the first set of my work set. After the set was done I immediately felt the burning/aching/tightness associated with soreness in the back of my right leg only (hamstring?). I've heard that immediate soreness like that is a sign of injury, but I did the next 2 sets and was able to complete them both. Did the press and deadlift and they both went fine.

I'm now extremely sore (mostly in the back right leg area), have to work a stocking shift at 4 am tomorrow and am laying awake unable to sleep cause of the soreness. I imagine lifting heavy objects is only setting myself up for further worsening the injury and am really thinking about calling off.

But I want to confirm that this is genuinely an injury and not just massive soreness from squatting for the first time in my life? Any suggestions on what to do? I'm really frustrated that the program is already possibly going to have to be put on hold; I was ready to dive in.
    Last edited by atrium; 07-14-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Sounds like a minor muscle pull. See a doctor. If you can't or won't see a doc, you'll probably find the pain is gone in a week or so.

You probably started too heavy and were sloppy. Happens a lot to guys training on their own. Find a competent coach.

Quote Originally Posted by atrium View Post
    But I want to confirm that this is genuinely an injury and not just massive soreness from squatting for the first time in my life?
    The soreness from squatting won't materialize until the next day, and may get a bit worse the day after. You might have a muscle strain or knot. I find a lot of this stuff responds well to foam rolling and working the muscle.

How heavy were these Squats?

Barring something requiring a medical diagnosis here is some completely free advice (know what that means, right?):

It will probably resolve in a few days to a week, moving around at work might actually help, though it might be painful.

Don't wait too long to squat again or you'll be in for more pain.

Well I took a painkiller last night to sleep and woke up feeling perfectly fine (aside from the expected DOMS; but nothing like the soreness I felt last night). So if nothing changes, I'll be working out again come Thursday. Not sure whether I should increase the weight, keep it the same, or lower it on the squat, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    How heavy were these Squats?
    85 lbs. I'm even weaker than I thought.

Telling us your height/weight/age might help us give you better advice.
    Last edited by hollismb; 07-15-2015 at 11:04 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    You probably pulled a muscle. You can do that moving boxes at work or doing anything really. It's no reason to just quit lifting entirely, but you might have to take some time to let it heal. It probably won't take forever to let it heal and you can still go to work and lift boxes and whatever. Walking and moving around will only help, just don't try to train through it. When you get back to squats, take care of your form. Don't just dive bomb it or force anything or be sloppy. Do it right.