starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hamstring injury, pt suggests new squat technique

Default hamstring injury, pt suggests new squat technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok,
    So I have been working wi5 this pt to help me through a show ( I'm a dancer) as I recovered from two hamstring pulls and a back issue. By working bill Starr up, I managed to progressively feel better, but it kept messing up a little bit over and over again, either through the show or trying to squat too much weight when I hadn't slept or ate enough.

She looked at my squat technique today, since I said I had been having trouble with it. She had me lean waay back into my heels, which di make me feel it way more into my glutes, but then I had issues with her saying that I shouldn't let my knees go over my toes at all, which doesn't make sense, since I have very long femurs proportionately.

I did feel my glutes workong more though. And that's my main problem, since my hamstrings usually try to do all the work.

Maybe I shouldn't post and just listen to my pt. Odk, I just seemed to get a couple red flags. But they are a great pt and teain a lot of professional atheletes and dancers, I'm just having trouble with the blind belief right now.

If anything sees anything awful, speak now or forever hold their peace!
    Thanks

Oh yeah, and the reason I'm not Just going straight back into bill Starr is because now I don't know what squat twchnique to do, and it normally makes me feel like I'm stretching my hammies a little too much if I go for parallel recently

K that's it, I'm done

Quote Originally Posted by mstancli View Post
    Ok,
    So I have been working wi5 this pt to help me through a show ( I'm a dancer) as I recovered from two hamstring pulls and a back issue. By working bill Starr up, I managed to progressively feel better, but it kept messing up a little bit over and over again, either through the show or trying to squat too much weight when I hadn't slept or ate enough.

She looked at my squat technique today, since I said I had been having trouble with it. She had me lean waay back into my heels, which di make me feel it way more into my glutes, but then I had issues with her saying that I shouldn't let my knees go over my toes at all, which doesn't make sense, since I have very long femurs proportionately.

I did feel my glutes workong more though. And that's my main problem, since my hamstrings usually try to do all the work.

Maybe I shouldn't post and just listen to my pt. Odk, I just seemed to get a couple red flags. But they are a great pt and teain a lot of professional atheletes and dancers, I'm just having trouble with the blind belief right now.

If anything sees anything awful, speak now or forever hold their peace!
    Thanks
    where's the video?

I didnt make one, but I can today!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    where's the video?
    here it is!
    first 3- the way she wants. note leaning way back, trying to not let knees go over toes, and what feels like my head between my head. I almost feel like it look like Steve Goggins, which kinda makes sense since I have a short torso and long femurs like him. she wants me leaning back like that so that I push through my heels and feel my butt, not my hamstrings, working the whole way through, since I have trouble firing my glutes and over firing my hamstrings. I feel like I have trouble hitting depth this way though

after the pause- 5 squats ss style, as far as I know. I 've read the book a few times, and this is where Im at. I did feel a little bit of popping in the outside of the top of my right hamstring at this point, but I honestly think it was because I had already done a bunch of takes, not slept well, and my hamstrings were already tired.
    Lemme know and thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSdlGa-Nwec

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    where's the video?
    here it is!
    first 3- the way she wants. note leaning way back, trying to not let knees go over toes, and what feels like my head between my legs. I almost feel like it looks like Steve Goggins, which kinda makes sense since I have a short torso and long femurs like him. She wants me leaning back like that so that I push through my heels and feel my butt, not my hamstrings, working the whole way through, since I have trouble firing my glutes and over firing my hamstrings, apparently a dancer thing. I feel like I have trouble hitting depth this kind of squat though.

after the pause- 5 squats ss style, as far as I know. I 've read the book a few times, and this is where Im at. I did feel a little bit of popping in the outside of the top of my right hamstring at this point, but I honestly think it was because I had already done a bunch of takes, not slept well, and my hamstrings were already tired.
    Lemme know and thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSdlGa-Nwec

Need a load to judge, really. The second lot aren't "SS squats", but the lack of load will have something to do with that, who can do hip drive with a broomstick?

Conservative advice assuming a bad injury:- If the hamstrings are damaged and hurting still, try front squats first, empty bar, add weight each workout, if you get to like 60kg with those, try high bar, empty bar, up to 60kg again, if all goes well low-bar back squats. No deadlifts, and certainly no cleans.

But really,

SSCA : Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by mstancli View Post
    I had issues with her saying that I shouldn't let my knees go over my toes at all, which doesn't make sense, since I have very long femurs proportionately.
    Nobody wants to explain why this was bad advice from the PT? Okay, I'll take this one, fellas. From the good book of Rip, Chapter 2, Verse 33 (see also 2-13):

The position of the bar on the torso will control the angle of the back, and the angle of the back and stance will control the forward or back position of the knees...

...For the back squat, when the bar is in the position advocated here, just below the spine of the scapula, the back will be at a much more horizontal angle, and the knees will be at a point just in front of the toes (depending on your anthropometry).

Thanks hollismv for the clarification. That's what I remembered
    And yes, hip drive with no bar. Hard.
    I have one more app with this pt before my regular one comes back next week. He's great. I have no experience with high bar though. Ill need help when I get there.
    In the meantime, could I get a good sitefor the front squats?
    Lemme know and thanks.
    P.s.- the hammies are like 70 percent now, but I have a low back and pelvis that moves around, causing the hamstrings to get stressed randomly. My pt has been helping with that a ton though. I do still occasionally get ridiculopathy down the whole leg.
    So yes, the squat this pt recommended is hogwash as expected. O did try bill Starr with regular squats recently, but I am a dancer and was in a show, so I kept rehurting myself either in the show or with just over doing it just a littttllleee bit doing to exhaustion causing bad decisions.

Last q, so no deadlifts? What's a good marker that its time to start again? I have a good gym with a lady bar and bumper plates, so I can start back quite light once its time!

Quick q with front squat progression- go for Starr style? And I already asked a coach on here, but 10 lbs progression per day okay?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by mstancli; 08-20-2015 at 05:26 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Front squats are in the book, too.

Not knowing the extent of your injury, I have to assume it's serious and so recommend starting with the empty bar and going up 2.5kg a session.

Start deadlifts when you get up to 60kg low-bar back squat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast