starting strength gym

Thread: Has anyone squated after cortizone shots in the knees for arthritis pain?

Default Has anyone squated after cortizone shots in the knees for arthritis pain?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would like to hear about it.

I only had one injection (treatment) in the right knee.

I took a few days off until the post-injection spongy/inflated feeling went away in my knee; and an another day or two off of squats and deadlifts. No issues at all related to the injection as I continued training.

I did not get any more injections; treatment did not help with my symptoms or pain management. The arthritis and torn meniscus are still there....

At the time, the Ortho told me that if lifting weights didn't aggravate my symptoms or cause additional pain I could go ahead and continue lifting; but he was not happy with the amount of weight I was squatting (at the time) and wanted me to cut back on the poundage--other than the few days off, I ignored his advice.

I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor. Your results may vary...

Good Luck!

Steroid shots are hit or miss. I've seen patients regain decades of functionality and I've seen patients not get jack shit. Overall, I want to say it's roughly 50-70% of patients respond depending on the population . But of those responders, some only get a mild response for a month while others get six months of substantial relief. And most docs only offer quarterly due to glucocorticoid risks. Three other points. Ultrasound guided injections tend to get better injections but don't get me wrong. Some docs can nail it blind every single time. I'm just talking odds. Second point. If it doesn't work the first time or you only get a minimal response, don't bother with a second. Third, you can also try hyaluronic acid injections. They take a bit longer to kick in than steroid injections but aren't really superior, just another option.

NSAIDs are still the gold standard. They just have a not so inconsequential serious risk to your kidneys and gut with long term use. And you kinda need those to live no matter how much you deadlift. But steroid shots are definitely worth trying unless you have poorly controlled diabetes. They should start kicking in by day 5-7 so you don't have to take but a few days layoff.

None of this constitutes medical advice. I could be wearing a tin foil hat doing arm curls in front a mirror for all you know.
    Last edited by vanslix; 09-10-2015 at 08:12 PM.

I pressed with a shot in my AC joint. By this point the damn thing was already trashed beyond any chance of healing on its own. The shot was a final diagnosis, and stopgap before surgery.