starting strength gym

Thread: Unweighted squats on recovery days?

Default Unweighted squats on recovery days?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Pretty new to the program and training in general. I was wondering if a couple sets of unweighted squats on recovery days might be a good idea. On my gym days, I have to put a lot of effort into getting good depth and I feel like after a recovery day or two I'm back at square one with my flexibility. I was thinking it could be a nice way to get some bloodflow and do some stretching without actually having to "stretch", but I don't want to disrupt my recovery, if that would be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonblakeman View Post
    Pretty new to the program and training in general. I was wondering if a couple sets of unweighted squats on recovery days might be a good idea. On my gym days, I have to put a lot of effort into getting good depth and I feel like after a recovery day or two I'm back at square one with my flexibility. I was thinking it could be a nice way to get some bloodflow and do some stretching without actually having to "stretch", but I don't want to disrupt my recovery, if that would be an issue.

Any thoughts?
    Won't disrupt recovery, but might mess with the motor pattern, since an unweighted squat resembles a front squat more closely than it resembles our squat.

That makes sense. Thanks. Any suggestions for staying limber other than stretching? Or should I just stop worrying about it and work it out with a lot of warm ups when I get to the gym?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonblakeman View Post
    That makes sense. Thanks. Any suggestions for staying limber other than stretching? Or should I just stop worrying about it and work it out with a lot of warm ups when I get to the gym?
    I don't have any kind of specific stretching protocol to recommend, but a little light stretching on your off days shouldn't hurt anything if you want to do some. The majority of your increased mobility will still likely be gained under the barbell.

What else are you doing on recovery days? Anything? Nothing? I generally walk 2-6 miles around my neighborhood pushing a stroller and this seems to help in recovery just by getting the blood moving through my legs. If for whatever reason I don't do this for a few days, I find I'm a little stiffer when I get to the gym and I get winded between sets more easily.

I'm not very consistent as far as what I do on recovery days. On days I work, I walk a lot. I'm a server so I'm always walking around to check on people or fetch something. Sometimes I take walks on my days off work. I hike occasionally. Sometimes I veg out completely and don't do anything physical.

starting strength coach development program
    Im a fan of sitting in the bottom of your squat for a good minute or so daily....not doing reps so as to not interfere with the movement pattern as discussed above, but just getting to the bottom of a bodyweight squat and sit there. It will slowly stretch out what you need to stretch out without doing a static stretching protocol. Im amazed when I have 19 year old patients come in with knee pain or low back pain and they cant get even close to parallel in a bodyweight squat without significant instruction.
    Last edited by Chuck Tringo; 12-07-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typos