starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow recovery

Default Elbow recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Back story - If you don't want it, skip to where it says ISSUE:

Right so about 3-4 weeks ago I played a game of rugby (Prop) after a long lay off.
    There were no sudden impacts but towards the end and then at the end of the game the upper right hand side of my back seized up and I had a bit of elbow joint pain (also right side).

After a day or two I was down the doctors, I was able to perform full range of motion etc without any sharp or severe pain, just a constant ache and also some muscle spasms on and off. I spent about a week on the sofa doing nothing, dosed up on Naproxen and Codeine, then another week out and about but still on the pills.

I have all together now had 4 weeks approx rest with no training since the incident. First night back in the gym tonight.

ISSUE: Whilst bench pressing half of my normal weight, on the up movement my right elbow "wobbles" and is very unstable, it pretty much pushes out and won't support the weight / push it up.

I have tried a few pushups and on the downward part / pushing up the same issue, the elbow unstable and seems to just fold out.

Can anyone please offer any advice and remedies for this issue ? Hoping to get to a physio soon but am cash strapped student at the moment, just gone back to uni, plus there is a bit of a waiting list to see anyone, hopefully I can get in there soon!

Appreciate any help and advice offered!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Back story - If you don't want it, skip to where it says ISSUE:

Right so about 3-4 weeks ago I played a game of rugby (Prop) after a long lay off.
    There were no sudden impacts but towards the end and then at the end of the game the upper right hand side of my back seized up and I had a bit of elbow joint pain (also right side).
    Did the elbow pain and back spasms come on at the same time? Can you remember what you were doing at the time? Where exactly was/is your elbow pain?

After a day or two I was down the doctors, I was able to perform full range of motion etc without any sharp or severe pain, just a constant ache and also some muscle spasms on and off. I spent about a week on the sofa doing nothing, dosed up on Naproxen and Codeine, then another week out and about but still on the pills.
    Did the Dr. test the elbow ligaments? It would have looked like he was trying to push it sideways out of place.

I have all together now had 4 weeks approx rest with no training since the incident. First night back in the gym tonight.

ISSUE: Whilst bench pressing half of my normal weight, on the up movement my right elbow "wobbles" and is very unstable, it pretty much pushes out and won't support the weight / push it up.

I have tried a few pushups and on the downward part / pushing up the same issue, the elbow unstable and seems to just fold out.

Can anyone please offer any advice and remedies for this issue ?
    How is your back now? Do you have any shoulder/arm pain? How did the elbow feel the next day?

It is of course very difficult to tell over the internet. However, you should be somewhat reassured that if you had a mild-moderate elbow sprain, which would be the primary suspected cause of instability, it typically mends within 4-6 weeks. It is more likely that detraining is showing it's unforgiving hand here. My suggestion would be to warm up to a point where you can successfully manage the weight, and build from there...even if it is lighter than desired. You will build up quickly again.

If it continues, a video would be helpful.

Let us know how you go next time you are in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Did the elbow pain and back spasms come on at the same time? Can you remember what you were doing at the time? Where exactly was/is your elbow pain?

Did the Dr. test the elbow ligaments? It would have looked like he was trying to push it sideways out of place.

How is your back now? Do you have any shoulder/arm pain? How did the elbow feel the next day?

It is of course very difficult to tell over the internet. However, you should be somewhat reassured that if you had a mild-moderate elbow sprain, which would be the primary suspected cause of instability, it typically mends within 4-6 weeks. It is more likely that detraining is showing it's unforgiving hand here. My suggestion would be to warm up to a point where you can successfully manage the weight, and build from there...even if it is lighter than desired. You will build up quickly again.

If it continues, a video would be helpful.

Let us know how you go next time you are in the gym.
    No the elbow ache came a day or two later to be honest, the Doctor did not test this, as the back pain was far worse at the time and the main complaint.

I just got back from the gym, no problems at all lately with my back, that is fully recovered.

The elbow however was very weak and unstable, was struggling to bench press 50% of what I normally do (did a few sets of 10 with 50kg)
    In order to not aggravate it I just did some cable flies for chest, a few pull downs and attempted 1 body weight dip but failed. half way down I could feel the elbow pushing out away and not supporting me.

This is very frustrating atm Will try and get to see a physio ASAP.

No the elbow ache came a day or two later to be honest, the Doctor did not test this, as the back pain was far worse at the time and the main complaint.

I just got back from the gym, no problems at all lately with my back, that is fully recovered.

The elbow however was very weak and unstable, was struggling to bench press 50% of what I normally do (did a few sets of 10 with 50kg)
    In order to not aggravate it I just did some cable flies for chest, a few pull downs and attempted 1 body weight dip but failed. half way down I could feel the elbow pushing out away and not supporting me.

This is very frustrating atm Will try and get to see a physio ASAP.
    That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how you get on.

Physio seems to think there is some ligament damage that will need time to heal. IF after three months it's not better will need to get a scan and see if surgery is required :/

Whilst trying to train the last few weeks I think the weak elbow has put too much pressure on my chest as I now also have a grade 1 pectoral tear

Got some elbow stability exercises to do for the next few weeks, looking at 6-12 weeks for recovery hopefully be back to normal by then. Very frustrating thing to happen!

My apologies, I did not see your post until now. How is your elbow? It is curious that you cannot recall a mechanism of injury. Have you had problems with this elbow previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    My apologies, I did not see your post until now. How is your elbow? It is curious that you cannot recall a mechanism of injury. Have you had problems with this elbow previously?
    I've had some pain when squatting with a fairly narrow reach but nothing that stopped me training. Its complicated atm as I'm unsure if the injured pec is holding me back of the elbow.

So far the last few weeks I've added +5kg back onto my bench every week. If I can keep doing that every week until I am back to where I was I will be happy. Progress is progress!

starting strength coach development program
    I've had some pain when squatting with a fairly narrow reach but nothing that stopped me training. Its complicated atm as I'm unsure if the injured pec is holding me back of the elbow.

So far the last few weeks I've added +5kg back onto my bench every week. If I can keep doing that every week until I am back to where I was I will be happy. Progress is progress!
    That is great news Indeed, progress is progress. Bit by bit.

My only advice is to sort out what you were doing in the squat that was irritating it. Try and video it to see if you do anything weird with it, get some coaching, or post a form check here.

Keep at it Amigo.