starting strength gym

Thread: Eggs, again.

Default Eggs, again.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was reading an old post here where you said that the difference in digestibility and bioavailibility between raw and cooked eggs is not significant. Do you perhaps know why the common wisdom is that raw eggs are around 50% bioavailable and cooked eggs around 90%?

The reason I am asking is, if raw eggs are actually not as bioavailable, wouldn't that extend to powdered eggs in protein powders as well? As far as I am aware, they are made from dried raw egg whites, (pasteurised), not cooked egg whites.

P.S. Any whey, even hydro, even 97% iso, makes me feel bad.

I don't know if it's common wisdom, but there's a few pubmed studies on small sample sizes suggesting that the bioavailability of egg protein is about half of heated egg protein (e.g. cooked). There are NO studies looking at nitrogen balance or fractional muscle protein synthesis differences between raw and cooked eggs. I suspect this is minimal and you'd have to link to the thread so I can see what I said. I may have been wrong, of course.

As far as powdered eggs and egg protein in supplement form....they both have been heated during processing so it's a different condition than raw eggs.

Thanks, that's cleared things up enough for me to load my shakes up with egg protein

If you have time, the link to the thread is below:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1104948

Right, I misspoke about the BV but would counter that I'd be really surprised if the net amino acid uptake and stimulation of mTOR was any different between the two.

Ok. Thanks again for your time.