starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Myfitnesspal - how accurate is the 'calories burned' calculation function?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If you have access to a cycle...I'd do that above incline walking.
    Sort of, the gym only have these minimized bikes with knobs and no display. Don't know how I can track anything there.

Anyways, incline walking hardly represents a very big eccentric stress anyways right (at least not in my experience)? I see you recommend fasted LISS walking in your To be a beast-article, this is only a step above that, but still way below the eccentric stress of for instance running.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Sort of, the gym only have these minimized bikes with knobs and no display. Don't know how I can track anything there.

Anyways, incline walking hardly represents a very big eccentric stress anyways right (at least not in my experience)? I see you recommend fasted LISS walking in your To be a beast-article, this is only a step above that, but still way below the eccentric stress of for instance running.
    Sure I don't think it's too much stress, I just think cycling is better (and the research supports this) for fat loss and muscle preservation. Walking is more easily accessible, but since tracking either activity outside of duration and effort is kind of pointless, I'd still opt for cycling unless walking somehow resulted in me getting laid more often.

Sure I don't think it's too much stress, I just think cycling is better (and the research supports this) for fat loss and muscle preservation. Walking is more easily accessible, but since tracking either activity outside of duration and effort is kind of pointless, I'd still opt for cycling unless walking somehow resulted in me getting laid more often.
    Brief aside - but not really. Bikes kill my freaking ass . .literally. 3 hundy plus focused on my taint becomes a bit uncomfortable HOWEVER I am all in with our program. Yesterday I did my first session of Steady State and did it on the Elliptical. Do I need to nut up and get used to the bike and as my weight goes down the rectal shattering pain will diminish or is an elliptical a decent option?

You should try walking in Thailand more often.

I'd still opt for cycling unless walking somehow resulted in me getting laid more often.
    Have yet to see the women running next to me get impressed to that extent by my awesome incline walking. May test biking, though I do enjoy the sense of progress of walking a little bit faster and consequently further (which I couldn't get on the bike without a display).

On Sundays (I run Tue-Thur-Sat self-made bastardization of Texas Method/HLM) I do a 3k run because I have an arbitrary goal of reaching the Norwegian military mark of 15 minutes (did 12:30 back in the day). Incline walking should transfer over better for this right? I'm not a powerlifter and I'm dieting now anyways, so I accept some sub-optimal programming for strength gains anyways.

The only way walking gets you laid:

Buy dog. Take dog to dog park. Walk dog. Meet girls with dogs. Get laid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Brief aside - but not really. Bikes kill my freaking ass . .literally. 3 hundy plus focused on my taint becomes a bit uncomfortable HOWEVER I am all in with our program. Yesterday I did my first session of Steady State and did it on the Elliptical. Do I need to nut up and get used to the bike and as my weight goes down the rectal shattering pain will diminish or is an elliptical a decent option?
    The elliptical is fine, Brian. Once you become a bit more svelte, we'll revisit the bike

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Have yet to see the women running next to me get impressed to that extent by my awesome incline walking. May test biking, though I do enjoy the sense of progress of walking a little bit faster and consequently further (which I couldn't get on the bike without a display).

On Sundays (I run Tue-Thur-Sat self-made bastardization of Texas Method/HLM) I do a 3k run because I have an arbitrary goal of reaching the Norwegian military mark of 15 minutes (did 12:30 back in the day). Incline walking should transfer over better for this right? I'm not a powerlifter and I'm dieting now anyways, so I accept some sub-optimal programming for strength gains anyways.
    I don't think there is a substantial difference between incline walking at a slower pace and faster walking on flat when it comes to aerobic performance in running for 15 minutes on flat. Might put in some jogging in there for 60s at a time during the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    The only way walking gets you laid:

Buy dog. Take dog to dog park. Walk dog. Meet girls with dogs. Get laid.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think there is a substantial difference between incline walking at a slower pace and faster walking on flat when it comes to aerobic performance in running for 15 minutes on flat. Might put in some jogging in there for 60s at a time during the walk.
    That's actually my exact finish. Do 34 minutes of walking at increasing velocity and finish with a minute run as fast as I can (still on the max 15% incline).

As for walking flat, I've gotten up to 5.4 steady-state (can't remember the unit, believe km/h) on the max incline, I start to run around 6-6.5 on a treadmill, so not really worth it on the flat since it would be substantially easier with max walking speed on flat since it's only 0.5-1 faster.

I will incorporate your bike advice once I get a new gym, incline walking just suits me very well for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12