starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busted my hip drive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    For whey, I recommend unflavored whey isolate (I use NOW brand)..... Plus they give me the shits.
    Hah. Considering my chronic constipation I should try this.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Height
    Read this and this, and then post a form check video.
    I reduced the weight 15-20% for my lifts Saturday and recorded it. No need to post as the problems were obvious.

1. Squat = Not deep enough. What "felt" like parallel isn't. I need to work on flexibility and fix this before adding weight.
    2. OHP = Excess back arching on the up movement in press 2.0.
    3. DL = Rounded back. More flexibility issues I need to address.

No wonder I tweaked my back. I would post the vids, but want to avoid the murder charges after people die from laughing. I looked like a spastic demented clown. It would appear from the video that I completely lack a kinesthetic sense of movement. I read the book, studied the photos, watch the training videos and thought for sure I had the form down on these, but seeing is believing. My form sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by snallygaster View Post
    No wonder I tweaked my back. I would post the vids, but want to avoid the murder charges after people die from laughing. I looked like a spastic demented clown. It would appear from the video that I completely lack a kinesthetic sense of movement. I read the book, studied the photos, watch the training videos and thought for sure I had the form down on these, but seeing is believing. My form sucks big time.
    no, wrong way to think about it. You need to post ASAP to fix. Post in the Technique forum, and if you frame your narrative in the proper way, no-one should give you any shit.
    Unless you have ability/access to go see a SS Coach in person.

Quote Originally Posted by snallygaster View Post
    I need to work on flexibility and fix this before adding weight.
    Probably not.

The great majority of beginners who think they need to stretch for a few weeks before being able to squat or deadlift properly, are wrong.

Get some coaching.
    If you are too shy to do this on a public forum, pay for a one-on-one session with an SS coach. It's expensive but worth the money.

If you really do have a severe range-of-motion problem, it is likely a bone or ligament problem that doesn't respond much to stretching.
    A good coach will recognize this and teach you an alternate form of squat/deadlift, and maybe refer you to a surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    If you really do have a severe range-of-motion problem, it is likely a bone or ligament problem that doesn't respond much to stretching.
    A good coach will recognize this and teach you an alternate form of squat/deadlift, and maybe refer you to a surgeon.
    Emphasis on IF and SEVERE. It it not likely that you have a bone or ligament problem requiring surgery; you, just like 99.7% of the people that post issues like this, just don't know how to squat properly yet. And that's okay.

I just wanted to chime in because I think it's irresponsible to toss around the idea of surgery before this guy has posted a form check. Post a video and visit a coach. My single visit to a Starting Strength coach has been the most valuable sum of money that I've spent in the pursuit of strength. Their assistance is invaluable for novice lifters getting started, and in my case, my coach even offered to keep critiquing my subsequent form check videos for free.
    Last edited by Squeakyguy; 10-19-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakyguy View Post
    Emphasis on IF and SEVERE. It it not likely that you have a bone or ligament problem requiring surgery; you, just like 99.7% of the people that post issues like this, just don't know how to squat properly yet. And that's okay.

I just wanted to chime in because I think it's irresponsible to toss around the idea of surgery before this guy has posted a form check. Post a video and visit a coach. My single visit to a Starting Strength coach has been the most valuable sum of money that I've spent in the pursuit of strength. Their assistance is invaluable for novice lifters getting started, and in my case, my coach even offered to keep critiquing my subsequent form check videos for free.
    Agree with all this. 95% of beginners just need a coach, not weeks of stretching or surgery.

starting strength coach development program
    snally, we've ranged a bit far afield here, I think. Back injuries are scary and as others have made clear, by hook or by crook you need to post a form check for your pulls at the very least but all the lifts including the press would be better in case your problem is actually something you're doing when you're under the bar. But, as Rip repeatedly says "you can heal". Think about how much stress you put on that area when you were +200 pounds for all those years. I dare say there was a good bit of sitting with your pelvis posteriorly rotated or "tucked under". Lots of my fellow pilots experience pain in the sacral area because we sit quite a lot even while being awesome. Many of them allow it to scare them into inactivity for fear of doing genuine damage to their low backs. Quite a few have found this podcast from Rip regarding back injuries to be heartening:

Starting Strength

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12