starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator Cuff surgery

Default Rotator Cuff surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've run across many people who tell me that they cannot lift ever again because of rotator cuff surgery. I've known people to lift after much more serious damages. What is the proper response to people who give this as a reason for not lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I've run across many people who tell me that they cannot lift ever again because of rotator cuff surgery. I've known people to lift after much more serious damages. What is the proper response to people who give this as a reason for not lifting?
    Bullshit, I think would be proper.

They may have to approach all lifts with the idea of looking out for the signs of over doing it but - I have not had my supraspinatus repaired so pressing per se is out of the picture. It has been a year since a full thickness tear injury and I have been using machine incline and straight shoulder presses. I am slowly approaching light free dumbbell lifts. I religiously use a theraband every morning on both shoulders doing full range of motion stuff. No real problems.

I still squat (242 x1 right now) and DL 245. 67 last Aug. No problems for shoulder.

What is the proper response to people who give this as a reason for not lifting?
    Nothing. "What Do You Care What Other People Think?": Further Adventures of a Curious Character: Richard P. Feynman, Ralph Leighton: 9780393320923: Amazon.com: Books

I think you are doubtless both correct given the situation. I guess I do try too hard with some people. Some people can only learn the hard way and then it's too late. I guess I'm not the Messiah after all.

I think you are doubtless both correct given the situation. I guess I do try too hard with some people. Some people can only learn the hard way and then it's too late. I guess I'm not the Messiah after all.
    I've just reached the point where I'm not going to give advice to people unless it's my own kid, somebody specifically asking for my input, or somebody doing shit in the gym that might kill them and ruin my workout

According to my ortho, the vast majority of people that get rotator cuff surgery get back to near 100% function.

starting strength coach development program
    Tiburon (Tiger), That's good advice.

Umairsemail (?), I suspect that to be true. Rip had such surgery.