starting strength gym

Thread: Since this is the nutrition forum........

Default Since this is the nutrition forum........

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, since this is the nutrition forum(actually appealing to your knowledge of anatomy/physiology), wondering if you have heard of cases where people have strained/torn/whatever an intercostal muscle in the rib area? Deadlifting for a 5RM 6 weeks ago resulted in what felt like a pulled muscle, both in the rib area under my right pec(did not feel like the pec was hurt at all), and in/under my right shoulder blade. Hurt to take a deep breath. Has felt like a very sore muscle for several weeks, as if sore from lifting a day or two ago. No swelling or bruising and no sharp or excruciating pain, so i ruled out a fractured rib. Also, did not feel as though I was able to easily reach the affected muscle(s) via massage or foam rolling. Anyhow, feeling markedly better now after about 6 weeks, and was able to comfortably deadlift a set of five around 90% of 5RM, and bench getting close to normal volume work weights as well. Just found this to be a somewhat unusual injury that I had not heard a lot about, and my diagnosis is purely a wild guess based on some googling and what symptoms I have had along with recovery time.

I have not personally done this, but I have known a few people I've worked with who have and it just takes a long time for it to heal. Sometimes using a long ace bandage/knee wrap around the torso makes it feel better while training with a lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Jordan, since this is the nutrition forum(actually appealing to your knowledge of anatomy/physiology), wondering if you have heard of cases where people have strained/torn/whatever an intercostal muscle in the rib area? Deadlifting for a 5RM 6 weeks ago resulted in what felt like a pulled muscle, both in the rib area under my right pec(did not feel like the pec was hurt at all), and in/under my right shoulder blade. Hurt to take a deep breath. Has felt like a very sore muscle for several weeks, as if sore from lifting a day or two ago. No swelling or bruising and no sharp or excruciating pain, so i ruled out a fractured rib. Also, did not feel as though I was able to easily reach the affected muscle(s) via massage or foam rolling. Anyhow, feeling markedly better now after about 6 weeks, and was able to comfortably deadlift a set of five around 90% of 5RM, and bench getting close to normal volume work weights as well. Just found this to be a somewhat unusual injury that I had not heard a lot about, and my diagnosis is purely a wild guess based on some googling and what symptoms I have had along with recovery time.
    1.5 years ago,i had a similar injury like that when i used my belt too tight and too high.I heard pop sound around rip area during the squat then it was so much painful,felt like i hurted something badly.I was not able to move well several days due to a pain and X-rays didn't say anything so i assumed it was muscle problem like that.I heard Rip said that rip area would be heal fast due to it's a very active area in our life.So maybe after 2weeks later i started a lifting along the my pain.
    Did a every lifting without the belt then it healed fully after 10weeks(from first injury)IIRC.As always i did for an every injury area,I lifted everyday for flushing injury area(very light weight unless main workout day).I think you will get better soon if you don't rushing too hard too soon(my 0.02)

During my week of doubles, my serratus and intercostals are always sore the next day after the hard valsalva. Might have to do with the uneven and unequal ribs I have but, yes, it is NOT a pleasant feeling. And mine are just DOMS, not a tweak or anything. Fractured ribs hurt like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I have not personally done this, but I have known a few people I've worked with who have and it just takes a long time for it to heal. Sometimes using a long ace bandage/knee wrap around the torso makes it feel better while training with a lighter weight.
    I had this injury twice last year...it took a very long time to heal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    I had this injury twice last year...it took a very long time to heal.
    Seems to be the case for me. Here is an update. It's been 7 weeks now, and had to skip a workout yesterday due to difficulty breathing....just shortness of breathe, not that I couldn't breathe at all. I might try squatting and doing some light pulls today as scheduled. Hoping this clears up in a few more weeks.