starting strength gym

Thread: Grade 5 AC Joint Separation Recovery

Default Grade 5 AC Joint Separation Recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In October, I had surgery to repair a grade 5 AC Joint Separation (complete ligament tear). It was repaired using a donor ligament. So far, it appears the ligament is healing properly and there wasn't any damage to the shoulder joint itself.

In January, I should be cleared to begin the process of rebuilding strength.

Does anyone have any experience in rebuilding strength after this type of surgery? My PT recommended against both OHP and bench press, because they are bad for the shoulders. He believes that heavy weight is even worse. I'm certainly not following that advice, nor will I retain his services as a PT.

For OHP, bench and squat, I was thinking starting with the bar and adding 5 pounds per session. For chins, I will likely have to use assisted chins to build back up.

Deadlifts put the most strain on the ligament, so I'm reluctant to start at 135. I was thinking of using dumbbells and working my way up to 130, then switching to the barbell and continuing on up. I understand that this is not the equivalent to deadlifting. However, I do think for the purposes of building my shoulder back up to holding the weight, it is a good substitute. I'm definitely open to other ideas as well.

My primary concern is re-injuring the ligament.

Personal Info
    Ht: 6'2"
    Wt: 215

I was still in the linear phase for when the injury happened. BP and OHP were micro-loading, but still linear.

BP: 195x3x5
    OHP: 132.5x3x5
    Squat: 275x3x5
    Deadlift: 310x3x5
    Weighted Chins: 25x3x5

Note: I know weighted chins are not part of the program at this stage. I'm deviating from the program and if the results are less than optimum, then the only person I can blame is myself.
    Last edited by TKPK; 12-04-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Clarity

You can buy 10 pound bumper plates so that you can get the bar to the proper height to deadlift. Rogue has them.